Collectors!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collectors!!!

I am worried out of my mind. A creditor is trying to find me through my friends. It is a medical bill from when I ended up in hospital for two days when I had no health ins. also, I just lost my job so I have NO money to file bankruptcy yet. What can I do?

They're just doing their job. As long as they can't find you, they are probably going to look. Contact them, verify your correct telephone number and address, and then turn on voice mail or the answering machine.

Once they have found you, they normally won't keep contacting everyone else.

It's just the way the game is played, don't worry.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by spearmint View Post
      I am worried out of my mind. A creditor is trying to find me through my friends. It is a medical bill from when I ended up in hospital for two days when I had no health ins. also, I just lost my job so I have NO money to file bankruptcy yet. What can I do?
      First thing, DO NOT CALL THEM.. NEVER NEVER NEVER call a debt collector. They will trick you into saying things and get you into a true mess.

Write the collector and deliver a limited cease and decist. Let them know in that document that they can ONLY contact you via snail mail. They can call one time after that to confirm receipt of the document. If they call you or ANYONE else after that, they are violating the FDCPA and you can sue them for each offence.

You had noted that they are calling people other than yourself. As these people are telling you this, ask them if ANY details regarding the debt was released to them. If they said ANYTHING about it, automatic violation of the FDCPA!!!
      Thanks,
      GaCreditGuy

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
      BK7 Filed : 01/29/2006
      341 Completed : 03/06/2006
      Deadline For Objections: 05/05/2006
      Discharged : 06/30/2006
      Case Closed : 06/30/2006

Comment

Originally posted by gacreditguy View Post
        First thing, DO NOT CALL THEM.. NEVER NEVER NEVER call a debt collector. They will trick you into saying things and get you into a true mess.
        Please give an example of a 'thing" that might get one into a true mess. I've spoken to many, many CA's, JDB's, and collection attorneys. I'm in no worse mess than I was before I had to stop paying my unsecured debt.

Comment

Originally posted by gacreditguy View Post

Write the collector and deliver a limited cease and decist.
          Limited cease and desist?

Care to explain that one a little more?
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

citi was calling friends and my brother then my parents trying to find me. I finally called them gave them my cell number, they stopped calling everyone else, then a few days later i sent them a cd letter saying no phone calls here is the one i used. http://credit.about.com/od/debtcolle...eanddesist.htm
            i changed it up alittle saying no phone contact to me friends or family and tat all contact should be limited to mail. then i sent it to the certified mail

Comment

A debt collector will take a limited c&d as a full fledged c&d.

Comment

Whatever is c&d?

Ohhh, cease and desist. What do you mean a full fledged c&d?

Comment

Last edited by optimistic1; 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Talking to a creditor is not going to change anything for the debt. Basically you can talk all day long to them, but if you have no money to pay them, then it is just that talking. Regardless of whether you speak to them or not, if they sue you, then they will get a judgement of what you owe them.

i see no problem in calling them to give them your correct number and address. This way the calls will stop for a little while to your friends and family members. I would give them a cell number though and say you do not have a home number. This way they will continue to call your cell number and can turn off the ringer.
                    Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                    341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                    Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

My thinking is that it is a tactic. They called my parents house even though I have not lived there for 20 years. My parents knew nothing of my debt problems, and some parents help their kids out when this happens, which is what they are betting on.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
                        Please give an example of a 'thing" that might get one into a true mess. I've spoken to many, many CA's, JDB's, and collection attorneys. I'm in no worse mess than I was before I had to stop paying my unsecured debt.
                        any"thing" to get you to admit that the debt is yours OR coercing you to say that you are not paying. they are tricky and sneaky scumbags that will get you to say something and in turn, use it against you should they decide to sue. It does no good to talk on the phone, all can be handled through written communication and therefore no "he said - she said".
                        Thanks,
                        GaCreditGuy

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                          Limited cease and desist?

Care to explain that one a little more?
                          absolutely, would be glad to... take a look below..

Address
                          City, State Zip

Debt Collector’s Name
                          Address
                          City, State Zip

Re: Account Number

Dear Debt Collector:

Pursuant to my rights under federal debt collection laws, I am requesting that you cease and desist communication with me, as well as my family and friends, in relation to this and all other alleged debts you claim I owe.

You are hereby notified that if you do not comply with this request, I will immediately file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the [your state here] Attorney General’s office. Civil and criminal claims will be pursued.

this is a template of a letter that you would revise to include your specifics and also revise the verbiage to cimply state that you only want contact via snail mail. then send this to the debt collector via FedEx or any other method that allows for you to receive a signature form the debt collector confirming delivery. why send this way? so you have solid proof that they received it. it is all about building a paper trail

once they have this, they can call you one more time to confirm receipt. if they call to collect the debt anymore, they are in violation of the FDCPA and can be sued for the offence(s).
                          Last edited by gacreditguy; 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM.
                          Thanks,
                          GaCreditGuy

Comment

Originally posted by josephga View Post
                            citi was calling friends and my brother then my parents trying to find me. I finally called them gave them my cell number, they stopped calling everyone else, then a few days later i sent them a cd letter saying no phone calls here is the one i used. http://credit.about.com/od/debtcolle...eanddesist.htm
                            i changed it up alittle saying no phone contact to me friends or family and tat all contact should be limited to mail. then i sent it to the certified mail
                            that's the way to do it jospehga
                            Thanks,
                            GaCreditGuy

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
                              A debt collector will take a limited c&d as a full fledged c&d.
                              not necessarily. you tell them to stop communicating by any means, then that is full.. if you tell them to only contact via snail mail, then that is limited and if they choose to not contact you at all, that is their problem and not yours. you have the paper trail should that ever arise legally.
                              Thanks,
                              GaCreditGuy

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X