Letter to CC when attorney is retained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter to CC when attorney is retained

Last week I retained an attorney and will be filing in late October.

I have been current on my credit cards until last week when I missed my first payment.

Would it reduce any of the calls if I sent certified letters to the addresses of the credit card companies on my credit report stating that I have retained an attorney, his name and phone number, and plan to file bankruptcy? I really don't want my child getting these phone calls at home while I'm at work or worse they start calling others because they can't reach me during the day while I'm at work.

Thank you,
    LM

They're not going to stop until you have a case number. An attorney on "retainer" is the oldest trick in the book by debtors.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Actually, in most cases, it will reduce the calls. Even though the FDCPA doesn't apply to original creditors (chase, citigroup, etc), they will generally respect the fact that you have hired an attorney and leave you alone for about 30-60 days. There is no harm in sending the letter.

However, just because you have retained an attorney, doesn't mean the attorney is going to field creditor phone calls.

Comment

I asked my attorney about creditor calls during our first meeting. He said to give them his name and number, tell them I will be filing soon, and keep a list of the ones who call me after receiving the information.

I don't know if it is a state law that may be different or not but those were his instructions.

Thanks for the info,
        LM

Comment

I wonder if retaining the lawyer would put off my judgment?
          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
            The Magic 8 ball says "No".

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedGuns View Post
              The Magic 8 ball says "No".
              Great I still have until the middle of September to get them my financial info. I don't plan on filing until end of Sept or early October.
              "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                Nope. Simply retaining a lawyer has no affect on a filed lawsuit...sorry.

Sometimes you can get a delay in the trial date since neither side wants to go to trial.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X