1099-C after cc discharged in Chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-C after cc discharged in Chapter 7

I received a 1099-c for 2009 taxes on a credit card that was included in our chapter 7 bankruptcy. The discharge date for the bankruptcy is 7/29/2009. The 1099-C is showing that the debt was cancelled 7/29/2009. The block on the 1099-C for bankruptcy is not checked. I called the phone number on the form and told them that this debt was included in our bankruptcy and we should not be receiving this form. I spoke to two gentlemen from India who told me that they have permission from the IRS to issue 1099-C and not check off the bankruptcy block! Do I now have to amend my 2009 tax return or can I simply write a letter to the IRS and include a copy of my discharge?

Did you just get the 1099-c? Because you filed it clears it, how they want to do their paperwork is of no concern to you but I would think your filing should include any 1099-c and make sure it is not taxable due to bk. However if they JUST sent it to you then I might want to contact the IRS to find out what fines they should pay for taking so long to send important tax documents to you this late in the game.
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

It appears that you might want to file a Form 982 with the IRS to document the issue.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X