top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a judgement-can they sieze money when I cash a check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a judgement-can they sieze money when I cash a check?

I have a Woodforest , (bank of Walmart), checking account. I cash my paychecks and personal there. I received a motion for summary judgement today. Can I still cash my checks there. Can thae bank take the money when cashing the check? I know better than to keep money in the checking account, but need to know if I run a risk cashing my paycheck now. Thanks for any answers!!

No they cannot take your money when you cash your check at a Wal-Mart.

You are talking about a store right? Make sure you cash it at a store in the customer service department.
    Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

Walmart has a bank inside called Woodforest. A previous poster mentioned that the actual Walmart super store is owned by GE money and they were concered that if they cashed their check there, the money could be taken. I don't want to take any chances. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by merime View Post
        Walmart has a bank inside called Woodforest. A previous poster mentioned that the actual Walmart super store is owned by GE money and they were concered that if they cashed their check there, the money could be taken. I don't want to take any chances. Thanks!!
        Do you endorse the check and then cash it for the full amount payable in cash? Or do you deposit the check in your account first, with a deposit skip, and then withdraw all of the money in cash? It makes a difference. If you just hand them your check and they hand back cash, with no cash withdrawal slip you are OK.

Woodforest National Bank is like any other national bank with branches all over the country. If you actually get a judgment (and you do not have one yet), and then they find and levy your Woodforest bank account (which takes time), any money you deposit in the account during the levy period will be frozen and taken. The levy period depends on your state rules for bank account levies.

You are not just cashing a check at Walmart customer service. Most banks want the check deposited before you can withdraw funds. Maybe Woodforest does not.?
        “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I just cash my check, no deposit. I had deposited enough to pay phone bill in past. So as long as I cash it for cash I will be ok? I think walmarts costumer service is affiliated with GE money which is one of my creditors( though not being sued by them yet). That is why I hesitate to cash at costumer service. Wildforest does not require a deposit before withdraw thank God. Thank you!

Comment

I happen to have an acct at the same bank. I wonder how large a check could be cashed before WoodForest required it to be deposited and clear first before extracting cash? Also, I would question if WHERE the check was coming from would affect the bank's willingness to cash it over the counter, so to speak?....A government-issued check - probably fine. A Big local company- like Motorola? also probably good.....a small local company? ....I wonder.

NOTE to other readers of this thread: Cashing a check at Woodforest whose branch is located in WalMart has nothing to do with cashing a check at Walmart Customer service counter.

Comment

They cashed a $660 personal check!! I thought for sure they would require a deposit on that one. The first time I did cash a check that was personal ( from same person) , they did put a 3 week hold on it. I went back 2 days later with proff that the check had cleared and my funds became available. All in all Woodforest is a great bank. The hours are a bonus feature. Open til 7 and on Sundays!! No I don't work for them, but I am gratful they exist.

Comment

I really like Woodforest Bank, too. I've never had issues with cashing checks or needing to have enough in my account to cover them. And one month, when I was short on my rent, I was fretting at the counter about it. They offered me a $500 advance. This was when I was still working and my paycheck was direct deposited so Woodforest knew money would be coming in in 2 weeks to cover the advance, but still...my credit was SHOT by then and they still helped me.
                Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                New Job 7-2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X