Yay! Small Victory for me today with Doc bill thanks to BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! Small Victory for me today with Doc bill thanks to BK

One of my docs who performed surgery on me last year has continued to bill me the remnants of the bill my medical insurance didn't cover. They continued to bill me through my automatic stay, and I just kept them for my attorney. When I went in for my post-up appointment last year and checked in, the girl at the front desk told me I owed that balance. Since I was on pain meds, and didn't feel like having the whole waiting area hear about my being in BK, I gave her my co-pay amount and just told her that's all I had on me that day, and I'll discuss the rest with billing, not telling her about the BK later. 2 more bills were mailed to me. I went in for another follow up last week, and they again told me about this balance. I said, "Nope, I do not owe anything. Matter of fact, you owe me $15.00, and I'll talk to your billing department later.

I finally talked with the office manager today. I informed her that surgery bill was included with my bk, they violated my automatic stay, and I wasn't paying anything prior to my filing my Chapter 7 date. I apologized for not talking to her about it sooner, but I didn't want the whole office hearing that I filed for Chapter 7, and I didn't feel like getting my attorney involved over a measly remnant charge that's going to be wiped out anyway. She said she completely understood, wrote off the remnant charge from my surgery, and credited me for last week's visit.

Being broke has it's advantages.....Ahhhhhh......
    Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

nice story...my wife was hospitalised last summer, when we were a thousand miles from home. the f'n Dr wouldnt talk to me or anything. i was told by hospital staff that this was 'his perogative'....wtf? you dont talk to a patients husband???? never got a bill from him, but our insurance paid him 90%. (wish they hadnt!) i got our EOB from our ins carrier, knew he'd be owed $751...so i just threw it in with the BK. i dont care that i never even got a bill, but even if i had the $$ he wouldnt get a dime till my dying day.
    Filed Ch 7. Jan 14th 2011. 341 Feb. 24th 2011. DISCHARGED April 26th 2011. Closed May 10th, 2011. Huge weight off our shoulders! Scores as of 5/14/11 : TU-639, EQ-642, EXP-602

Comment

Oh, my....If that happened to my other half I would have had to bail him out of jail...Hope your wife is doing better! I just wanted to share my small victory with everyone. Today I feel empowered using my bk to my advantage. Tomorrow may be a different story, ya never know. I celebrate my victories as I get them!
      Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

Hi---747LUVR---EOB?

Comment

Originally posted by feelingnutsy View Post
          Hi---747LUVR---EOB?
          Not 747LUVR but I can answer this one for you.

EOB = Explanation of Benefits (a notice from your insurance carrier - typically medical or dental- about what they covered, etc.)
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeinMD View Post
            One of my docs who performed surgery on me last year has continued to bill me the remnants of the bill my medical insurance didn't cover. They continued to bill me through my automatic stay, and I just kept them for my attorney. When I went in for my post-up appointment last year and checked in, the girl at the front desk told me I owed that balance. Since I was on pain meds, and didn't feel like having the whole waiting area hear about my being in BK, I gave her my co-pay amount and just told her that's all I had on me that day, and I'll discuss the rest with billing, not telling her about the BK later. 2 more bills were mailed to me. I went in for another follow up last week, and they again told me about this balance. I said, "Nope, I do not owe anything. Matter of fact, you owe me $15.00, and I'll talk to your billing department later.

I finally talked with the office manager today. I informed her that surgery bill was included with my bk, they violated my automatic stay, and I wasn't paying anything prior to my filing my Chapter 7 date. I apologized for not talking to her about it sooner, but I didn't want the whole office hearing that I filed for Chapter 7, and I didn't feel like getting my attorney involved over a measly remnant charge that's going to be wiped out anyway. She said she completely understood, wrote off the remnant charge from my surgery, and credited me for last week's visit.

Being broke has it's advantages.....Ahhhhhh......
            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Hmmm....with all due respect, but....I don't think I would have had the nerve to go for a follow up appt. if I included the doctor billing in my bk.........

Comment

The doctors have no idea about how their billing department handles things.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X