top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a collector know my number if I call their extension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a collector know my number if I call their extension?

As my credit card past due collection troubles are growing (due to losing my job and the recession), I have an aggressive collector on my tail, and it is a collector that has started calling my brother (we share a house, but have our own separate landline telephones). My brother is very upset that he is getting daily calls and voicemails from one collector asking for me, so needless to say, this is causing a lot of tension between my brother and I as of late. Yet my brother gave me the toll free telephone number and an extension of the person I need to talk to.

Since I know that when you call a toll free number, the telephone number calling the toll free number does not have blocking capabilities, yet I was wondering if I call such a number and then dial an extension, does that person still have the capability to see the number of where the call is originating from, since their telephone system has to transfer the call to the extension? In my case, I plan to call from my own home telephone number.

Since I do not want to upset my brother any further, I want to be able to call the collection company, tell them that the person they are looking for is not at this number, this person can only be reached on phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx, and please do not call this number xxx-xxx-xxxx again. I know that my brother can do this from his own telephone, but he is pretty upset with me already and I do not have access to his phone. Yet I need to try to do what I can to stop this collector from calling my brother.

Originally posted by BrokeIn2011 View Post
    As my credit card past due collection troubles are growing (due to losing my job and the recession), I have an aggressive collector on my tail, and it is a collector that has started calling my brother (we share a house, but have our own separate landline telephones). My brother is very upset that he is getting daily calls and voicemails from one collector asking for me, so needless to say, this is causing a lot of tension between my brother and I as of late. Yet my brother gave me the toll free telephone number and an extension of the person I need to talk to.

Since I know that when you call a toll free number, the telephone number calling the toll free number does not have blocking capabilities, yet I was wondering if I call such a number and then dial an extension, does that person still have the capability to see the number of where the call is originating from, since their telephone system has to transfer the call to the extension? In my case, I plan to call from my own home telephone number.

Since I do not want to upset my brother any further, I want to be able to call the collection company, tell them that the person they are looking for is not at this number, this person can only be reached on phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx, and please do not call this number xxx-xxx-xxxx again. I know that my brother can do this from his own telephone, but he is pretty upset with me already and I do not have access to his phone. Yet I need to try to do what I can to stop this collector from calling my brother.
    ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! presume that when you call these places they CAN get your number. You google voice is a great way to get a free phone number for such a purpose. OR just a really cheap non-trackable Trakphone from Walmart for like 10 bucks.

Please forgive me as this is none of my business - your brother should be upset with the collector, not you. Just my unsolicited 2 cents worth. Sorry.

Comment

Sounds like an opportunity for you and your brother to make some cash for collection violations! That might go a long way to kissing ans making up lol

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeIn2011 View Post

The thing to do to cure this situation is to give the collector correct contact information on you. Once they have legitimate contact information, they have no legal reason to contact anyone other than you. In other words, no skip tracing or locating efforts are justifiable if they have your contact info.

Yes. When your are transferred to an extension, your information is transferred along with you.

Since I do not want to upset my brother any further, I want to be able to call the collection company, tell them that the person they are looking for is not at this number, this person can only be reached on phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx, and please do not call this number xxx-xxx-xxxx again.

Call them from whatever phone you choose to have them use and give them your number (and they will be capturing your number as well). Let them know that this is the only number in which you can be contacted. You might want to answer it once every few weeks just to keep it verified.

I know that my brother can do this from his own telephone, but he is pretty upset with me already and I do not have access to his phone. Yet I need to try to do what I can to stop this collector from calling my brother.
        They can and will call everyone until you are located. Enable yourself to be located and your problems should be solved. As another poster suggested, you can always use google voice or a trace phone.

Do not call them from your brothers phone or any other phone that you do not want in their database.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Do bear in mind that you can't block your number when dialing a 800, 866, 877, 888 or other "free" numbers....no *67, NADA.

And yes, they will keep on calling everyone and anyone until you pay or file BK.

Good luck.
          No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
            Do bear in mind that you can't block your number when dialing a 800, 866, 877, 888 or other "free" numbers....no *67, NADA.

And yes, they will keep on calling everyone and anyone until you pay or file BK.

Good luck.
            That is exactly right. To expand on this a little, all phone calls contain two caller id signals. One is the public signal that displays and can be blocked, the other is a signal that is used by the 911 systems and is also displayed on all toll free numbers.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Using the head in the sand approach and hiding from collectors will cause them to call relatives, neighbors, etc. Give them a number that they can contact you on and answer the calls. When they call you simply confirm your identity and then tell them that you will no discuss financial matters on the telephone.

No one can make you talk about anything you don't want to talk about. If they can locate you but you won't discuss it, the number of calls will decrease substantially. Plus they won't be trying to locate you at your family, friends or work.

Comment

Thank you all for this wealth of information. WOW!!! What you all have shared is very good to know, and is very educational.

Thanks so very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X