Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused... Collections letter

Hi all,

I got a collections letter today from Allied Interstate in regards to Capital One. I've read all kinds of great things about this CA, which isn't surprising seeing how badly they've been blowing up my phone, lol.

Anyway, I want to send them a DV letter (and I'm thinking about a C&D as well, because the volume of calls is particularly annoying), but I can't figure out which address to use! I've seen this tactic before, but in this case, I'm really stumped. The return address on the letter was a P.O. Box in Southgate, MI, and then they have a physical address in Columbus, OH, but it says not to send payments or correspondence to that address. Finally at the bottom of the letter right above the tear off section to send with the payment it says to send all payments and correspondce to Capital One with yet another P.O. box in Chalotte, NC.

Now my understanding from reading the letter is that they are a third party and therefore would be subject to the FDCPA, but if I send a DV/C&D letter to the OC, Capital One, which is what they apparently would like me to do, it would get me nowhere since they aren't bound to the sections that matter to me...

Here are links to the two pages (I tried to upload the PDF on here, but it was too large, so the front and back are now on Photobucket, sorry!), with personal information redacted.

Front: http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ck/allied1.jpg
    Back: http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ck/allied2.jpg

I'm not sure if I should use their P.O. Box or their physical address since I certainly don't want to send it to Cap1 -- What would you guys do? Thanks!

Mike.

Yank the cord from the outlet, problem solved..

Comment

I would send the DV to the return address on the envelope.

If the phone is bothering you, get a pay as you go cell phone, give to family and friends and as Jacko said, yank the cord. Or get google voice, give to friends and family and ignore all the other calls.
      Filed CH 7 4/15/11
      341 5/23/11
      DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

I believe the Carol Stream address is where a DV and/or C&D would go.

Comment

Guys, NCO uses the same Charlotte NC "return" address for Cap One...

Comment

I remember AI from a C1 collections about 3-4 years ago. I sent a DV to two addresses, including the address in Ohio. I know that eventually C1 wound up with a DV and C&D request because they tell me that when I call them to chat now and then. I did receive a DV from C1 (not CA.) AI is a strange collections agency. I'm not sure of their place in C1's collections. I also have access to their mailing address through Oregon's license holder site. The site includes their legal address for collections licensure. It was some address in Minnesota as I recall. I always erred on the side of caution and sent a DV to nearly every address on the dunning letter. If you are in doubt, give AI a call and ask them where you can send the DV request. I've done that in the past. Sometimes you get an address, and sometimes you get disconnected. My C1 accounts went to many different CA's with AI and NCO and some stupid attorney firm. In the end I got sued for one card, and the other 3 are now outside of the SOL under my state laws.

Comment

Amazing as always Treehugger!

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                Yank the cord from the outlet, problem solved..
                Its a cell phone, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinepa View Post
                  I would send the DV to the return address on the envelope.

If the phone is bothering you, get a pay as you go cell phone, give to family and friends and as Jacko said, yank the cord. Or get google voice, give to friends and family and ignore all the other calls.
                  They have both my google voice number and my actual cell number, we can thank my credit report for that, lol. I've thought about changing my cell number, or getting a throw away phone, but I still have a few old emotional attachments to the number, but that's a story for a different day I ignore all the calls, but they literally call both numbers every hour and its quite obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
                    I remember AI from a C1 collections about 3-4 years ago. I sent a DV to two addresses, including the address in Ohio. I know that eventually C1 wound up with a DV and C&D request because they tell me that when I call them to chat now and then. I did receive a DV from C1 (not CA.) AI is a strange collections agency. I'm not sure of their place in C1's collections. I also have access to their mailing address through Oregon's license holder site. The site includes their legal address for collections licensure. It was some address in Minnesota as I recall. I always erred on the side of caution and sent a DV to nearly every address on the dunning letter. If you are in doubt, give AI a call and ask them where you can send the DV request. I've done that in the past. Sometimes you get an address, and sometimes you get disconnected. My C1 accounts went to many different CA's with AI and NCO and some stupid attorney firm. In the end I got sued for one card, and the other 3 are now outside of the SOL under my state laws.
                    That's really weird. I really don't want them giving my letter to C1 (I know I can't control that, obviously, but if thats their process, it could speed up the potential of me getting sued). Now I'm wondering if I should even bother to send the DV letter in the first place. :-/

Comment

I think that under the FDCPA the CA is supposed to send you the verification, but in two cases I received info directly from the OC. I didn't have the time, knowledge, or trial expereince to attempt suit. I do agree that it is weird. On the other hand, (not-so) Hot Linda stopped calling a couple of years ago.
                      Last edited by treehugger1; 06-20-2011, 10:51 AM. Reason: Too many letters in the alphabet.

Comment

I think that under the FDCPA the CA is supposed to send you the verification, but in two cases I received info directly from the OC. I didn't have the time, knowledge, or trial expereince to attempt suit. I do agree that it is weird. On the other hand, (not-so) Hot Linda stopped calling a couple of years ago.
                        That's what I thought, too. I'm not interested in suing anyone unless they call me when they aren't supposed to, but I don't want to do something that would speed up the process whereby *I* get sued, either, lol. Whose not so Hot Linda?

Comment

For many of us here at Bkforum, Hot Linda used to be one of the robo-callers that left messages for us on our answering machine. "Please wait for an important message from C1..."

Comment

For many of us here at Bkforum, Hot Linda used to be one of the robo-callers that left messages for us on our answering machine. "Please wait for an important message from C1..."
                            Oh nice, lol. They still robo-call, but they evidently haven't figured out they're talking to voicemail, because all of the messages just say "Hello, Michael?" "Hello?" "This call may be monitored or recorded for quality control purposes." "Hello?" Click. Part of me finds it amusing, and the other part wonders if they'll actually say something worthwhile one of these days, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CCsSuck View Post
                              They have both my google voice number and my actual cell number, we can thank my credit report for that, lol. I've thought about changing my cell number, or getting a throw away phone, but I still have a few old emotional attachments to the number, but that's a story for a different day I ignore all the calls, but they literally call both numbers every hour and its quite obnoxious.
                              Suppose you got the pre-paid cell, used it for family/freinds and etc. Then when you get everything settled, you can just go back to your old phone.
                              Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                              341 5/23/11
                              DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X