top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summons, Motion for Judgement, then Withdrawal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summons, Motion for Judgement, then Withdrawal?

Before I start, some background. I travel as a consultant for my job, meaning that during the week I am frequently in another state, generally an airplane ride away from home.

In May, I was served with a Summons as a creditor is suing for a Summary Judgement. I formally responded to the summons requesting debt validation, who owned the loan, etc. Additionally, in the response I mentioned that the creditor had been calling my workplace in violation of the FDCPA after I had informed them that I could not receive calls on that number. After filing, everything seemed to go away.

Then, on July 25th I received (in the mail no less) a notice that a separate Motion for Summary Judgement had been filed and was up for hearing on August 10th. So only about 2 weeks notice, this despite the fact that most of my previous response to the summons has gone unanswered.

"Fine" I figure, and I use some airline miles to get a ticket home on August 9 so I can be in court on the 10th. There is no way I am going to just not show up when someone is suing me.

Here is where I make my mistake, I called the opposing counsel and ask if they plan on answering the questions I posed in my response to the summons. A para-legal in the office calls, attempts to answer a few questions, and then says that the attorney will have to call me back. Two days go by, no response.

When I get home this weekend, I find a new piece of mail indicating they are withdrawing their Motion. They were obviously not prepared and did not think I was going to be there. I shouldn't have tipped my hand either.

Unfortunately, they have now cost me a day of work (or a $150 change fee for the airline ticket plus the miles I used for the ticket). Since I am going home anyway, what do you think my chances are of showing up at the hearing and asking for the motion to procede in my favor? Especially in light of the fact that I am making myself available despite the circumstances.

Is this an original creditor or a junk debt buyer. If it's the latter, it's doubtful they have the supporting documents.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Honestly I am unsure. The original debt was Capital One, but this is a law firm. I requested in my response that they validate who the owner of the debt was, but they have not answered that question. On the Motion, they list Capital One, but then it is charged off on my credit report.

Comment

UPDATE: Went to court yesterday morning, only to sit for the hour. The case had been withdrawn from the docket. So my question, am I right in thinking that they could just spring this on me again at any time?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X