Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summons and Bankruptcy

Hi,

I have a question regarding a summons and (Ch. 7) bankruptcy. I got a summons from Citibank. It was filed 5/25 and served to me on 5/30. I have consulted with an attorney and she is filing Ch. 7 bankruptcy for me. Unfortunately, she is unexpectedly out of the office today. Question -- do I have 30 days from the date the summons was filed (5/25 to 6/25) or 30 days from the date summons was served (5/30 to 6/30) before it is a default judgement? Since I am doing Ch. 7, I certainly do not want a judgement. Can't reach the attorney until Mon. - so asking here. Thanks!!!

Generally, the date of service controls the deadline.

However, the answer to your question is state specific. Your state's rules of civil procedure is where you need to turn. But as I said, in general, the response deadline runs from the date of service.

The BK is still going to take care of this debt and stop the lawsuit and if for some reason a default were to get entered, once you get your BK discharge, you may vacate the judgment.

So long as there won't be a prolonged delay from entry of judgment to filing BK, this situation is a non-issue. If there were going to be a long delay (more than month), then you need to start worrying about and planning for possible wage garnishment and bank account garnishment (assuming your state allows those methods of collection).

Comment

Thank you so much for your note. My attorney has all my Ch. 7 paperwork as well as payment. Filing should be imminent, so it sounds like we are good.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X