default judgement and sheriffs at the door for a levy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

default judgement and sheriffs at the door for a levy

I'm in nebraska what will the sheriff take? for a 2,000 dollar levy?

Who is the creditor? My only personal experience is in Georgia; the sheriff came to my mother's door, handed her the execution, and said "I don't see $4,000 worth of anything, have a nice day, ma'am." But I have heard of people having different experiences with creditors who take the debt personally (tend to be local, sometimes friends or family).

Please let us know what happened, if it's already over. Best of luck to you!
    Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

A little more info is needed.

Personally, my 'Hub and I went after his Mother's deadbeat ex-husband, and his new floozie, after they attempted to steal Ma's mobile home after she died. We got a judgment, and took the floozie's car....
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Strictly speaking, the answer is, they can take anything that is not exempt.

However, it is rather rare tactic for a "run of the mill" creditor (e.g. credit cards) to resort to sending the sheriff to your house.

Comment

This is a 2,000. dollar credit card debt and a judgement /levy in county court. I am having an attorney file chapter 7 for me but we have not filled yet. The sheriffs deputy even told me he would forclose on my house...I told him Go ahead !!

Comment

Georgia has the Writ of FiFa. Local creditors will often use this to their advantage. We have a small loan company in Monroe that has really uses this to extreme. They bring a deputy (whom they are paying), a small crew and they carry off computers, video gaming systems, televisions, whatever. Would some of these items fall under the exemptions? Probably, but that isn't their concern.

The stuff is then put in these storage containers over at the jail. Their goal is to take enough of your stuff that you will pay the note to get your stuff back. This company already has a bad reputation and in 2003 wound up getting nailed for exceeding the interest rate limits.

Most OC/CA/JDB don't go to these extremes.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X