Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection For Medical Debt

Hi,

My daughter (age 24) received a letter from an attorney for a debt from an emergency room. The letter does not say the date of service but I have some idea because my daughter started getting sick a few years ago. The collection letter is now over $1k. She is and was on my insurance back then when she went to the emergency room. However, for whatever reason, insurance was not applied to this bill. Since she is over 18, HIPPA laws don't allow my involvement with her medical bills. What can we do? Do we write the hospital a letter with the insurance information? Do we write the attorney? Is it too late? My daughter has an medical condition and when she got sick she ignored this bill.

Thanks!

If you plan to help her make the payments and assuming you are not within a period to request validation of the debt, I would have you daughter fax a letter to the attorney giving you permission to discuss her situation. Once that is done, I would explain that while you understand that this is not your obligation, you are willing to help with the payment of the bill using a payment plan. I would not agree to sign anything that makes you obligated to this. Nor would I tell them my income or where I worked or banked or anything. Assuming your daughter is not able to make the payments you should stress that your willingness to help should be welcomed by them. If you daughter truly has income that is no where sufficient to pay this, you need to paint a bleak financial picture so they are willing to accept whatever you offer as a payment plan. I would also ask if they would accept less than 100%. Since it is with an attorney it may be less likely, but you never know. Good luck
    Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X