Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts

I have a lot of out-of pocket medical expenses (RX, deductibles, coinsurances) that ususally cost me about $4,000 - $5,000 a year. I'm planing to file BK next April/May and since I'm over the median income, I'm looking to take all legitimate exemptions that I can.

Can anyone coment on how the trustees respond to putting the maximum amount in a health savings account (about $6,000)? It's on the means test so I guess they won't question it. Do they also accept contributions to a medical flexible spending account?

I also put $5,000 a year in a dependent daycare flexible spending account to use pre-tax money to cover part of my son's daycare bill. While daycare can be listed on the means test, dependent daycare flexible spending accounts arn't listed on the means test eventhough Payroll deducts the contributions from each paycheck for the year. Does this mean, I can't list the payroll deductions on the means test?

Also, does any one know whether the trustees will be looking for the reimbursements from these accounts and possibly adding it when calculating income? Is it better to wait until after the Ch 13 payment plan is confirmed before getting reimbursed from these accounts to avoid being considered as having more income?

I am curious about this also. Did you ever get an answer?

Comment

The new federal health care laws are changing the FSA/HSA rules.

You may want to do a google search of the new HSA/FSA or contact your provider for the service and ask them what changes they are making for next year.

FSA contributions will be capped at $2500 by 2013 and over the counter meds will no longer be covered unless you have a prescription from your doctor starting in 2011.

Comment

I was allowed to put the max $5800 family amount in my HSA - never questioned. I had been doing this for a couple of years prior to filing CH13 so that helps. Also, I have to pay until my deductable is met so I do use all that $$.

I do not use an FSA so I have no comments.
        19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X