Are CDs & DVDs valued? And valuing exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are CDs & DVDs valued? And valuing exemptions

I'm putting down some preliminary values for when I do finally get my attorney. Do I put items like CDs and DVDs in? If so, where.

Also, seeking opinions on values I have listed, just your general impression.

Books/pictures/instruments

Flute 25
    Upright piano 200 (based on ebay "sold" items)
    Books 100
    Decorative plates (4) 40 (based on ebay "sold" items)

Building Materials 0

Burial plot 0

Clothing/jewelry/personal

Clothing 150
    Sapphire ring 20
    Sapphire ring 20
    Costume jewelry 20
    Band & engagement 500 (based on ebay "sold" items)

Compensation/lost earnings 0

Domestic animals/pets/food

Household Cat 1 1
    Household Cat 2 1
    Household Cat 3 1
    Food 12

Federal EITC 0

60 days food/fuel 150

Furniture/household/utensils

Computer desk 5
    Dining table 1 15
    Dining table 2 15
    Loveseat 2001 10
    Couch 2001 10
    Couch 1981 5
    Recliner 10
    Entertainment Center 15
    Qn bed 2003 45
    Qn bed 2000 45
    Twin bed 2010 25
    Twin bed 2010 25
    Bunk bed set w/dresser 75 (bought this @ yard sale in '04 for 200+, kids have beat the pieces to crap since)
    Qn waterbed frame - wood 15
    Hollywood bed frame 10
    Dresser 20
    Dresser 10
    TV 50
    TV 300
    Receiver 50
    Bookshelf 5
    End Tables 10
    Lamps (4) 20
    Playstation 2 25
    PS 2 Games 25
    DVD player 50
    DVD player 10
    Utensils 30
    TV stand 5
    Dell computer 150
    Monitor 100
    Camera & lens 600
    Camera 75

Health aids 0

Higher ed savings 0

Personal injury recoveries 0

Pistol; rifle or shotgun 0

Motor vehicle

Public Benefits 0

Tools of trade 0
    Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
    "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Say something like 'assorted books, cds and dvds' $10.00. Or a different figure if you wish. You would be lucky to get a quarter a piece for books at a yard sale. And I've seen shoe boxes full of cds and dvds at yard sales that the seller is happy if you offer $5.00 for the whole box.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM. Reason: added 'for the whole box' for clarification.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

CD's and DVD's are worthless. If I wish a movie, I will purchase it. Same with CD's as if I cannot find it on you tube music I will not pay for one.

As Mrs. said, drop by a flea market and see what is there. Price your stuff at half the price. WE pick up working TV's on the side of the road then test and give them to nursing homes. Anything not an LCD is WORTHLESS as in natta, nothing, no good. Same with DVR's and VCR's. Junk.

Cut your estimate in half or less. You are way to high. 'Hub

EDIT: Do not tuck in sentimental value at all. What you like I might be repelled by. Also, no Trustee will pay for a visit to your home to check you out.
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

To the OP: Even though we know the purpose of the schedules is for the TT to find assets with value, that's not what they ask... they ask for "all assets." So yes you include them as discussed. At 341 time I wouldn't want to be asked "Did you include ALL assets?" (yes) "Do you own any CDs, books or DVDs?" (ummmm yes...) "What else didn't you list?" It's like the attorney that was asked by a TT, "Was your client naked when he came into your office?" (because no clothing was listed.)

===

Me: I have hundreds of DVDS... but much more important things to exempt (hopefully, cash!) It would be interesting to know what a trustee can get for a hoard of DVDs. One can find a retail price for them on amazon (by looking at the used sellers on amazon marketplace.) You can use the rule of thumb that you can sell things for half of what you buy them for.

But there's the very real cost of taking a huge pile of DVDs and sorting and cataloging them so they can be individually sold. The cost has to come out as the TT is not going to spend his time doing any of this. On the other hand, the used DVD vendors have to be getting their inventory from somewhere. I doubt they're dumpster diving for them... they've got to be paying some (probably very small) amount.

Not sure if I'm going to apply a lowball exemption or zero. I like my DVDs and I'll miss them but I can't eat them... and I can buy 'em used again just like I did the first time.

Some related issues include that I think I'll be skirting on the edge of being an asset case. (Would a zero exemption entice the TT into seeing me as a asset case?) Also I've got a LOT of unsecured debt and the DVD collection is one few assets I can point to, which might spare me from having the UST give me a proctology exam looking for hidden assets. (So I may want to declare the quantity and let the UST calculate retail and see.... something.)

Since the gurus are commenting on these assets... thoughts?

Has anyone ever had a TT be interesting in selling/actually sell their DVDs?
        Last edited by keptdigging; 04-24-2010, 04:33 PM.
        12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
        8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
        9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

I posted about this in another thread. I have a huge CD/LP collection. Plus tons of CDRs of unofficial stuff with no resale value. Plus a DVD collection. How do you declare this/set values for it all? It would take me years and years and years to figure all the actual values out, despite the fact that I have been selling a lot of the stuff on ebay/amazon the past couple years and know how to find approximate values for "rare" or valuable stuff which may or may not even sell for what it is "worth". And a TT would be totally clueless.
          Well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.

Comment

is anyone actually going to visit and see how many cd's or dvds you have?

Comment

Originally posted by josephga View Post
              is anyone actually going to visit and see how many cd's or dvds you have?
              I have no idea. Although since my bk would involves taking my house, I assume they would come out and do a thorough walk through and therefore see all the stuff in the house at the same time???
              Well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X