exemption planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exemption planning

Does anyone have experience with converting non-exempt assets (i.e. cash) to exempt shortly prior to filing bankruptcy? Specifically, does anyone have an opinion or experience as to what rises to the level of "intent to hinder, delay or defuaud...?" Simply looking to maximize exemptions by protecting about $20k in cash for clients...thanks.
    Comments are not, nor are they intended to be, legal advice. Replies to posts do not creat an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

There are ways, but the laws are so varied based on district and state, it is impossible to say whether this is possible without more info.

What state and district?

Are the filers claiming a homestead?
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

State is WA but must use CA exemptions because debtors moved w/in last 730 days. No homestead so planned to use wildcard for some of the cash but would like to know how much could be put into retirement account, etc. prior to filing.
      Comments are not, nor are they intended to be, legal advice. Replies to posts do not creat an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

Comment

Originally posted by wabkatty View Post
        State is WA but must use CA exemptions because debtors moved w/in last 730 days. No homestead so planned to use wildcard for some of the cash but would like to know how much could be put into retirement account, etc. prior to filing.
        Are you an attorney?
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Find the case
          In Re Addison
          Nos. 07-2064 / 07-2727
          8th Circuit Court of Appeals

Comment

yes

Comment

got it. thanks.

Comment

What a great reading that case was. I am possibly planning on filing chapter7 BK in May of 2011, and was worried about the $400/month we were putting away each into our ROTH IRA's that we opened in April of this year.

"intent to hinder, delay, or
                defraud a creditor."...

Since we are doing none of those 3, I can sleep a little better tonight :-)

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                  Find the case
                  In Re Addison
                  Nos. 07-2064 / 07-2727
                  8th Circuit Court of Appeals
                  Just a follow-up question if I may?

How does a lay person like me go about finding a case like this to read?

I will attempt Google of course, but I'd like to know how to do this, if you could provide some guidance.

Thank you.

Comment

I just put this into Google to find the case.

In Re Addison Nos. 07-2064 / 07-2727 8th Circuit Court of Appeals

and it was the top link.

Comment

If you can't find the case on google, try Findlaw.com

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X