Unemployment Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment Compensation

I understand that money received from Unemployment Benefits can be protected on Chapter 7 provided it is accumulated in an account, and can be traced.

My wife is receiving unemployment benefits right now. However recently, we just received a nice refund from our 2009 tax return. My question is, can I have my wife just save the unemployment money in her checking account and we instead use the tax refund for everyday expenses, and when it's time to file for Chapter 7 petition have the money in her checking account protected since it is Unemployment benefits?

Thanks, I hope my question makes sense.

It can (and might) be argued that the standing balance in the account is not subject to the unemployment exemption if any non-exempt funds were EVER deposited in that account. If she opened that account and the only deposits to it - ever - since opening it - were unemployment compensation, then you shouldn't have any trouble.

Comment

We have been collecting Unemployment Benefits since April, we have it go into our checking account so we can make the house payment.

Should we open a new bank account and have the unemployment go to that new account to keep things separate and can we still use the money to make our house payment?

thanks
      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X