Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pets?

I can't believe I have to ask this.

The official BK exemptions are vague. Some sites that attempt to break it down make it sound like you'll come out of this with the clothes on your back (if you're lucky). Others are all reassuring that hardly anyone goes above the limits. Both types could be talking out their behinds.

"Pets." They're on the exemptions form. Are they talking about livestock and show dogs, or do I seriously have to list my 8-year-old shelter cat? And...given that I paid a $50 adoption fee which included shots and her spaying 7 years ago, what the heck do I say she's "worth"?

Originally posted by hooferator View Post
    I can't believe I have to ask this.

The official BK exemptions are vague. Some sites that attempt to break it down make it sound like you'll come out of this with the clothes on your back (if you're lucky). Others are all reassuring that hardly anyone goes above the limits. Both types could be talking out their behinds.

"Pets." They're on the exemptions form. Are they talking about livestock and show dogs, or do I seriously have to list my 8-year-old shelter cat? And...given that I paid a $50 adoption fee which included shots and her spaying 7 years ago, what the heck do I say she's "worth"?
    OK, fear not. Put a 'buck' down on the "ally cat" ... What they look for is what you asked. Show dogs, ponies, and those kind of expensive pets. Hell I'd dearly love to have given my "killer cat" to that Trustee. NO ONE would have survived.

Worry not. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I listed my three dogs as 30 dollars total. I rescued all of them years back. Honestly the trustee never even blinked twice when he saw my 30 dollars for 3 dogs. I had to list them, but just used a low dollar amount on the total.
      Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
      341 meeting on 5/28/2010
      Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Exployer1234 View Post
        I listed my three dogs as 30 dollars total. I rescued all of them years back. Honestly the trustee never even blinked twice when he saw my 30 dollars for 3 dogs. I had to list them, but just used a low dollar amount on the total.
        Rescued dogs? I would have put down a negative amount. After all, they would be dead without you. Trustees couldn't care less about the pets. They are looking for money animals, like pedigreed and/or show animals, not pets.

WTH, Would you take, or part with a pet? I would not. I don't think a Trustee would be that cruel.

Don't worry about it. 'Hub
        Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM.
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My lawyer would not let me list a negative amount. I have to buy meds for each of them so she said just incase list the cost of the meds I spend each month on average. Just in case anything is said I have the means to back up the average cost of meds I spend each month.

I could not sell or give away my animals. They are like my children. I have 3 Shar pei's. One is an epileptic, one has a condition known as FSF (Shar pei fever), and one is almost 13 years old an in heart failure. So the average cost of all three of their meds is around 30 per month (give or take a few dollars).

I actually used to do rescue work and have placed over 150 dogs in the alst 10 years. Just last weekend I found another home for a shar pei in need.

So honestly if the trustee does try to take a person's animals that really is cruel.
          341 meeting on 5/28/2010
          Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

My trustee was (politely) interested in seeing my pedigreed, breedable, show winning Leonberger, but was not interested in taking her. I valued her at 50 cents because she is a sassy pushy broad.

I tried - really tried - to get him to take the Beagle mix, but he refused. I valued him at $5k on my schedules and didn't exempt him. I figured that is about the value of the STUFF that he has EATEN, so he must be worth that much. No such luck. Oh well.
            Last edited by tigergem; 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks, all! I feel much better. :o) I felt weird putting a price on my baby since I wouldn't take a million for her. I'm frankly confused what to price much of anything, actually, but I'm going with the "garage sale" standard that's been mentioned elsewhere on the board.

Exployer, how sweet that you take care of animals that need so much maintenance. Did you get any grief about expenses for them? Like how dare you file bankruptcy when you're spending money on medicine for dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by hooferator View Post
                Thanks, all! I feel much better. :o) I felt weird putting a price on my baby since I wouldn't take a million for her. I'm frankly confused what to price much of anything, actually, but I'm going with the "garage sale" standard that's been mentioned elsewhere on the board.

Exployer, how sweet that you take care of animals that need so much maintenance. Did you get any grief about expenses for them? Like how dare you file bankruptcy when you're spending money on medicine for dogs?
                The trustee did not even blink twice on the rescue aspect. I thought I might get some grief, but the amount is not anything that made him take a second look. I was well under the median for a chapter 7.
                341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

I can be judgmental sometimes, though this situation has certainly made me stop and think a lot more, and when an old co-worker filed for bankruptcy and then, during the proceedings, BOUGHT a new puppy for $500--a Lab that was sure to eat like a fiend later--I couldn't help wondering why they didn't have a problem with it.

I think sometimes that just like we think we're the only ones to ever let our situation get this bad, we also inflate our spending in our own head to the point where we start thinking, "Oh, no, I bought Tampax instead of generic...they're going to get mad..." like they could possibly care less.

Comment

My lawyer wouldn't even value my dogs or birds. He said not to worry they don't want them...and they didn't ;)
                    Filed Ch7 10/14/09 - 341 11/23/09
                    Last day for objections 1/22/2010
                    Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
                    Closed! 1/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by readytofile View Post
                      My lawyer wouldn't even value my dogs or birds. He said not to worry they don't want them...and they didn't ;)
                      Same here!
                      Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
                      341 June 1st, 2010
                      Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
                      Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X