Tools of the Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools of the Trade

I have a business license can I use my tools of the trade exemption even though I don't show a profit?

Alaska allows a pretty generous 'Tools of the Trade' exemption, that is better than what the Federal rules give. Here is a link to the list of state vs. Federal:

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Alaska allows a pretty generous 'Tools of the Trade' exemption, that is better than what the Federal rules give. Here is a link to the list of state vs. Federal:

http://www.akb.uscourts.gov/exemptions0410.pdf
      Yes I know, I updated/added this to the Wiki two days ago.
      But I'm asking if I can use it even though I don't show a profit, ie. is it considered a valid business? Will it be a stumbling block for me?

Comment

You'll have to look at your state exemptions and ask your lawyer. In my state, MN, it the law says you can deduct X number of $'s for tools of trade. Personally, I would contact a lawyer but, at least with my state, it does not ask whether you did, in fact, use these in your trade or made a profit/loss, only that you are what you say you are (a carpenter for example) and thus have these tools to make your livelihood.

Check your state laws and, if you haven't already done so, consult with an attorney as to the laws in your state.

Of course, you have to be licensed for that to be effective. I couldn't just say I was a carpenter and that is why I have so many tools.
        Last edited by discouraged; 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X