Valuing car in need of repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valuing car in need of repair

My car is worth $6-8K according to kbb.com, but it is in need of repair. The A/C doesn't work, needs new front tires and ball joints, and the check engine light is on (emissions issue). Plus, the car was stolen last year and got $5k in repairs (repainted, body work, etc). Not good for actual resale value, but I own it.

Will the trustee take this into account? Should I get a few repair estimates and note them on Schedule B? I've read mixed things about getting bids from places like carmax or autotrader, but maybe that too?

In my BK I asked my dealer to give me an estimate for repairs, which given the cost of dealership work was rather costly (better for me obviously). I deducted that amount from the Kelley Blue Book value to arrive at the value I put on Schedule B. I submitted a printout of the KBB value and copy of the dealer repair estimate with my filing. My trustee didn't question it.
    3/7/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by randian View Post
      In my BK I asked my dealer to give me an estimate for repairs, which given the cost of dealership work was rather costly (better for me obviously). I deducted that amount from the Kelley Blue Book value to arrive at the value I put on Schedule B. I submitted a printout of the KBB value and copy of the dealer repair estimate with my filing. My trustee didn't question it.
      Thanks! I was hoping to hear something like that.

Comment

Another option is to go to a dealer, explain your situation, and have them give you a written appraisal. They will take into account all the repairs that need to be made and give you a value based on that.

Our trustee asked for either KBB or a dealership appraisal.
        Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Interesting. Thanks!

Comment

You might want to go to 2 dealers for valuation after repairs.

Comment

My lawyer had me take mine to carmax since they give you the offer right there. That may help as well.

Comment

All good advice, thanks! I think I'll get a few to hold onto and see what the trustee asks for.

Comment

My lawyer made me put the kkb price, which was ridiculous. I have a junker that I bought used 5 years ago for 1250. KKB says it is now worth 1205. Yeah, right - like someone is going to give me 1205 for it. I would have gotten estimates too but I had enough left over exemptions that I let it go. 10 to 1 it wouldn't sell for more than 5-800 if I sold it. BBK pricing is way out of line.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X