top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homeowners insurance for surrendered house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homeowners insurance for surrendered house?

I filed chpt 7 and already had my 341 meeting. We are surrendering our house. My family and I have moved out and we are just waiting for our short sale or foreclosure to occur (whichever happens first I guess) Do I have to keep insurance on the house? My insurance was escrowed with my payment. I haven't been paying my payment (obviously) and therefore I haven't been paying my insurance. Is this okay? What if something happens to the house? Are we liable? We live 2 hours away and it is hard to stop and check on everything. Any comments/advice?

I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are you policy is paid a year at a time. So even if your coming up to your renewal date, the mortgage company would get the bill and it would be in there best interest to pay it.

- Viper
    State: New York
    Filed: 10/7/2005 :(
    341: 12/9/2005 :clapping:
    Last day for Objections: 2/7/2006 :yahoo:
    Discharge & Closed: 2/17/2006 :D :D :D

Comment

Viper is right and wrong. Your property insurance is paid a year in advance up to the month you bought your property in. I actually ended up getting a refund after foreclosure from my insurance company. On the other hand, if someone trespasses on the property, brakes his/her leg and decides to sue, they will sue you. And since you already filed BK, you can't file again on this circumstance for another 6 years. So be careful until it's foreclosed, don't cancel the insurance just yet.
      Edyta...
      Discharged April 2005

Comment

On the insurance issue,
        I have had to maintain property tax and insurance on my home/land for the last 14 months - EVEN THOUGH I DON'T OWN IT..... (trustee took it).
        But in order to protect myself.....I've had to pay the premiums.
        This year I refused to pay the property taxes on it.......
        I will pay the insurance to protect myself till I'm forced to move out......
        These bills should be going to the trustee (as part of the estate) - but they refuse to pay them.....

WhenI settle up with everyone I will make them reimburse me for all my expense.

Minny
        Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X