Sewer bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewer bills?

I searched around for this, but couldn't find an answer, so sorry if this question has been asked before. We are walking away from our townhouse, but will still be living here for a while to save some money. We will be paying our HOA dues.

We also have sewer bills that our county makes all homeowners pay. Do we need to pay those too? I guess if you don't pay them, they put a lien on your house. Do I need to worry about that or should I just pay the bill, like the HOA fees?

I never heard of a sewer bill. Usually it is covered in your water bill. Water tends to go downhill like into the drain, one way or other and they kind of have a symbiotic relationship. I can't answer your question about a lien, but I would assume they would attempt that. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I had a sewer bill in my old home as well - billed quarterly, on top of the monthly water bill. I paid the first quarter but have not paid the second. They usually do threaten to lien the home. Mine is $127.50 a quarter so I'm just ignoring and I'm going to wait to see what happens. The home is going back to the bank so I'm hoping that eventually Countrywide/BOA will have to pay the old sewer bills along with last year's and this year's property tax. If I end up having to pay the $127.50 later, so be it. Note: I did not include this bill on my BK filing which is why I'm thinking I may have to pay it. I included my property taxes and my 2009 HOA fee in my filing.
      over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
      Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

The past due sewer bill will be added to the property tax bill in most cases. In my county, homeowners pay a flat rate every quater and when our home sat vacant for nearly 18 months, the amount owed was added to the property tax bill. Actually, we called the sewer people and they said the arrearages would just be added to the property tax bill and the buyer from the Sheriff's Sale would have to bring all arrearages up to date. It may be a good idea to contact the sewer people and ask this question.
        Bankruptcy History:
        Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
        Discharged - 02/16/2006
        Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

I received a notice from my township that a lien will be placed on my property due to unpaid water and sewer charges - what will the mortgage company do when they are notified of this? I'm running two months behind on my mortgage for quite a while..... I live in NJ

Comment

We have a sewer bill added to our Electric bill, equal to our water bill. So if my water bill is $45 a month so is my sewage bill. So what they are saying ever drop of water here goes right back down the drain. Well that isn't quite try here, we have lots of plants we water and even though we drink lots of water, in a round about sorta way it does go back down the drain I guess. Here if you don't pay it, they do put a lien on your property. Our town owns our electric co and our sewage plant. I don't know, but it seems our town should be in good shape considering how much electric and sewage cost!!!! oh and now they charge $1.00 per bag of trash! Sorry, rambling.

So I don't know but since tax's can't be filed on what happens to property tax bills in a foreclosure? Do you still owe those taxes even after the foreclosure?
            Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X