Bank Broke Into House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Broke Into House

We had moved out of our home about 2 1/2 months ago. We are giving up the home. We just had our 341 meeting October 6th. Our bankruptcy is not finalized yet. The bank has called us to work out a payment agreement on the house. Twice they called and we told them that we had filed BK. I gave them our case number, lawyer name, and lawyers phone number. I have had nothing sent to me in writing, just recent phone call to work out a payment plan (behind $12,000).

Last week hubby goes to the house and notice that the storm was broken into and the deadbolt (top lock) was gone. The curtains have all been open to expose that the house is empty. They put a new dooor handle with different locks. There was a note on the door stating that the house had been winterize and no trespassing.

Today we get a letter from the bank stating that the house appears to be vancant. If this is the case, we need to have vacancy insurance on the house. We need to fax them a copy of the proper insurance. At the bottom of the letter it states "The letter serves as notification that Bank Of America may enter the vacant property to make resonable inspections to ascertain its condition and security. Furthermore we may winterize and maintain heat in the property".

Hubby calls them after reading this letter. The CSR "Oh you filed BK. We don't show anything on record. We were planning to come out to the house on November 13th, but since you filed BK we will cancel that."

Has anyone have this happen to them. Have no clue what to do next.
    Went into financial rehab 8/30/09
    Celebrated legal financial sobriety 12/9/09
    On The Road To Rebuilding
    5 active accounts in good standing

Are you giving the house back? if so does it really matter?

Do you still have stuff stored in the house? I can see it being a little unnerving but does it really affect you in anyway?
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Since you just had your 341 and aren't even discharged yet, I would wonder if this is a violation of the automatic stay - in a big way!

And it also seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at BOA.
      Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
      341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
      Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
      Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

IF you abandon the property the bank has the right to protect its asset.

The negotiation of the repayment is a violation of the stay if they haven't had it lifted.

Don't worry about the insurance issue. The bank has effectively taken control of the property.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
          IF you abandon the property the bank has the right to protect its asset.

The negotiation of the repayment is a violation of the stay if they haven't had it lifted.

Don't worry about the insurance issue. The bank has effectively taken control of the property.
          I agree and what I would have done is take a picture of the intrusion holding a current newspaper (as a time stamp) up in one of the pictures. I believe they have 'assumed' ownership. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I was going to say what ohiofiler said but never seemed to type it out.

As far as it being a violation of the stay I would lean towards maybe, however based on past case ruling it was not a willful violation. They were simply securing the property from possible further damage. I think a judge looking at it would see that it caused no harm to you whatsoever and let it drop.

In a sense they did prevent access to the property during the stay, but it appeared there was no access needed. I personally would not pursue it.
            3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
            4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
            4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
            6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Originally posted by tanya0525 View Post
              Last week hubby goes to the house and notice that the storm was broken into and the deadbolt (top lock) was gone. The curtains have all been open to expose that the house is empty. They put a new dooor handle with different locks. There was a note on the door stating that the house had been winterize and no trespassing.
              If you had moved out, if power and water were turned off, then they probably had the right to protect their interest in the property. By posting the notice of entrance and as to whom had the new keys, they should have done what is required by law as to the changing of the locks.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X