top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far in advance of sherrif sale am I notified by the law firm handling foreclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far in advance of sherrif sale am I notified by the law firm handling foreclosure

On our county sheriff's website, our home is listed as set for sheriff sale on October 12th of this year. It was published in our local newspaper for 3 weeks in a row as well. We have NOT received any formal letters stating that there is a date for sheriff sale set or that a judgment was issued. I only know of the date b/c I have been watching the county website.

Does our lender/law office handling the foreclosure have to notify us via mail of the date of sheriff sale? We have been notified as the process has played out of every step -- NOD, redemption period, date for judgment hearing etc., but nothing since then. We are in Illinois, which is a judicial state.

I don't have the answer, but I'm also in Illinois and only stumbled upon the auction date because I was watching the website. The county clerk's office told me they (law office of mortgage co) has to notify me within 7 days the sale is to be finalized which is this coming Monday, October 4th. We're not living in the house anymore so I'm thrilled to get this process over with, but I was surprised that we had not received any notification.

GOOD LUCK.

Comment

Thanks, I actually called the law firm handling the foreclosure and they said a formal letter with the sheriff sale date would be mailed this week -- so technically it is only about 2 weeks before the sale date. We then have 30 days from the recording of the deed transfer to vacate the house. I hope that we are offered cash for keys, that would be really great to help offset moving costs. Keeping my fingers crossed to see a note taped to our door within a week of the sale date!

Congratulations on getting to the final end of your foreclosure, I hope it is all clear sailing ahead for all of us! : )

Comment

Abbey, in IL if you have a sheriffs sale in a few weeks, a judgment was already entered. probably almost 3 months ago, as thats how long the sheriffs sale occurs after judgment. It usually happens within a few days of the 90 day redemption period.
        (so the judgment was entered around July 12th)....

If you are still in the property, you should attend the Confirmation of Sale hearing. (which will be a few weeks after the Sheriffs Sale) Appear and ask for more time, if you need it - you're guaranteed 30 days, but you can get 60, I've even seen some defendants get 90 days in certain circumstances.

Comment

Thanks Ryan, we are ready to move on but I find it kind of odd that we haven't received any formal notification yet. We knew that the judgment was issued in early July as we received notice of the hearing/motion for judgment and the date it was to be heard. I've known of the sale date since early August when it first showed up on the county sheriff website ... been waiting and waiting for formal notification and still nothing. I'm hoping that once the sale date comes and goes, the confirmation of the sale occurs within a week or two so our names will be off the deed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X