differing opinions on deficiency judgment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

differing opinions on deficiency judgment

Here's a little background first. We are doing a chapter 7. We are over the median but unemployed at time of filing (got a job after 341) and we have pretty low expenses even with the mortgage. We are pretty sure at this point we are getting through on a 7 but my point is that the UST already has his eyes on us.

We have come to the conclusion that we do not want to keep our house. We have missed 4 payments so far. We marked retain and pay on our statement of intent because we really didn't know what we were going to do at the time. My lawyer says that if we don't want the house and don't want to be liable for a deficiency judgment that we have to amend our filing and change our statement of intent and do a new means test. I'm supposed to get them our latest paystubs and they will do the numbers and let me know if this will be a problem with our chapter 7 possibly getting converted. I did some quick math myself and we would show positive DMI, like $1000 worth. She did say that they really hardly ever go for deficiency judgments and they've only seen 2 in their office.

I guess I'm confused because everything I read here says that as long as you did not sign an affirmation agreement you are not liable for deficiency no matter what your statement of intent says. What I can't figure out is why my lawyer won't tell me this. Does it have to do with our state? Are they just trying to cover their butts? Is she right?

We are in small town, Nevada. We owe $170,000. I'm not sure what fair market value is but I wouldn't guess much lower than that. There is no PMI on it because it was an FHA loan until it was kicked back to B of A because they screwed something up. I don't think we have much to worry about if we foreclose but I don't know if I have it in me to worry about it for another year (no NOD yet so we're looking at a minimum of 4 months to sale plus they have 6 months to get a judgment). We have an opportunity to rent a place for $600 and our mortgage payment is $1300 so that's quite a bit of money in our pocket.

Any advice is welcome!
    Filed: 6/23/10 341: 7/22/10 discharged: 9/21/10

Why on earth would your lawyer tell you you have to re-do your paperwork? You didnt reaffirm - you did a ride-through - so you are NOT obligated for anything...not even a deficiency. Are you certain that your lawyer didnt misunderstand, thinking you did a reaffirmation - and are you 100% certain you did a retain and pay vs. reaffirmation? Double check all paperwork that was filed.

Comment

I asked her a few different ways and even flat out told her that I read that you are not liable for a deficiency judgment just because of your statement of intent. We did not get a reaffirmation from the bank and a different lawyer there told me that Bank of America typically doesn't do them. She still just says, well we need to amend your statment of intent otherwise if you foreclose later you will be liable for a deficiency.

I just grabbed my statement of intent and it is marked: retained, reaffirm the debt, other: engage in loan modification, not claimed as exempt. Is it that reaffirm box that is the issue? We did not sign any documents from the bank. I would know because we did reaffirm a car loan. I'm wondering if they just have a policy to tell people this to cover their butts in case a bank tried anything.

I'm thinking maybe that if I check my credit report after we're discharged and the mortgage says included in bankruptcy that we should be okay.

Comment

For anyone interested, we were discharged yesterday. I pulled a couple credit reports (one for me and one for husband) today and both list the mortgage as included in bankruptcy with no balance. So I'm going to assume that my attorney is an idiot and go ahead and foreclose. It is so hard for me to grasp that this is all these people do and they don't know the rules??!!

Comment

Um, yep your attorney sounds like an idiot.

We have BofA and although we checked retain and pay on our papers, BofA never sent any reaffirmation papers and we never signed anything otherwise. I know for a fact we would have no deficiency if we chose to leave . . . .

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X