Need advice on Cash For Keys offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on Cash For Keys offer

House was sold at sheriff sale on Oct. 12th. In our state, there needs to be a confirmation hearing to confirm the sale and then we have 30 days to vacate the house after the confirmation hearing. The confirmation hearing is set for January 25th 2011, so that means we have roughly until February 25th 2011 to be out.

We partially moved out last weekend, dh is still staying in the house so it is not vacant and using it as an office. Well someone from the bank came by last week and left a card ... we called and he asked if we would be willing to work with him/the bank ie. cash for keys. We said yes, we'll work with you. Today he emailed over the offer ... $500 and leave all appliances and it needs to be in broom swept condition (all the standard stuff in a cash for keys agreement).

I countered back and said that due to the need to rent office space for my dh and to cover the non-refundable insurance payment we made to keep insurance on the place while it's still in our name, that $3500 would be what we consider fair to vacate asap. He emailed back tonight and here's his response ...

When we spoke on Tuesday I was under the impression that you were ready to vacate the property and you wanted to turn the property over early. If you are not ready to turn over the property, I can wait until after January 25th and we can work out a date then. I can't get approval for the amount you are requesting because as of 01-25-11 we will own the house anyway. There is no real benefit to us to take the house early and incur the expenses that come with it as we are going into an extremely slow selling time of the year.

I might be able to get you $1,000 if you agreed to turn over the property by 11-30-10. If this is a possibility, let me know and I will submit the request. Otherwise, let's stay in touch and if you decide you would like to turn it over before 01-25-11, just let me know.

What do you think? Should we just take it and move on or would you try to get a little more? He knows that dh is the only one there now and that me and the kids are gone, so there is not as much stuff to move out as if we are all still there. We were initially told that the confirmation hearings usually occur within 2 weeks of the sheriff sale so with a sale date of October 12th, we figured we needed to be out by late November - hence we rented a house starting Nov. 1st. Since there are so many foreclosures it is taking about 3-4 months to get the confirmation hearings scheduled.

What would you do? I sort of feel like we should take it and move on ... but I might try to say we'll be out in a week if we can get $2000. Thoughts?

Hi AbbeyA,

I think you're hitting the mark on your gut feel to take it as is at 1K. You currently have no leverage (e.g. no family and full furniture to move, etc) and the realtor/agent knows it. Doubt you can get more, but you can always try. I'd take the 11/30 offer.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Abbey I think $1000 isn't too bad considering you're already out and they know it..... it sounds like they are not so motivated to have you out earlier anyway, imo. I may have asked you this before but are you in Cook or Dupage? (you could pm me if you prefer) I just can't believe it's taking 3 months for them to schedule a confirmation hearing....

Comment

So we decided to go for the $1000 and surrender the property by Nov. 30th. I emailed the rep. from the bank and we are just waiting on some minor adjustments in the agreement and then we'll sign away If we can get it done, we'll turn it over sooner than that.

The house will be sparkling clean for them and good to go for the next owners if someone buys it. I don't doubt that it will sell and I hope the next owners will be very happy there. We are excited to move on from this chapter in our lives once and for all.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X