A new notice from Fannie Mae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new notice from Fannie Mae

While I was at work, my girlfriend showed up at my house and some guy was leaving the property. He put a notice on my door from Fannie Mae.

It says notice to renters: The attached notice means your home was recently sold in foreclosure and the new owner plans to evict you.

It is saying I have to respond within 5 days of receiving this paper.

It is also saying to avoid lawsuit and expense, it will be necessary for me to vacate the premises within 3 days after service upon this notice.

Obviously I'm not leaving in 3 days, I think it's a bluff. I am thinking I have more time than this, especially 30 days after they file an eviction procedure with the court, correct? They gave me a cash for keys offer which would still pay me $2000 if I vacate by the 26th of this month, so I know I still have some time.

Any feedback on my timetable here?

That's the 3 day Notice to Vacate. It's the first step of the eviction process in CA. They can't actually file suit until they serve you with this Notice. Nailing it to the front door is acceptable if you're not home.

Next they will file the UD. Sounds like they will file suit 6 days from now because they're giving you 5 days to respond. The judge normally hears evictions within 20 days.

If it were me, I'd go after the 2K and do my best to get out. Any way you can do that?

It will also prevent an eviction public record. Those can limit your options when it comes to renting in the future.
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
      That's the 3 day Notice to Vacate. It's the first step of the eviction process in CA. They can't actually file suit until they serve you with this Notice. Nailing it to the front door is acceptable if you're not home.

Next they will file the UD. Sounds like they will file suit 6 days from now because they're giving you 5 days to respond. The judge normally hears evictions within 20 days.

If it were me, I'd go after the 2K and do my best to get out. Any way you can do that?

It will also prevent an eviction public record. Those can limit your options when it comes to renting in the future.
      I am looking hard for houses during the week and on the weekends, I am driving around looking at places. So it's just a matter of finding a decent place that isn't in too bad a neighborhood and one that will take a large deposit from me and the fact I have a high paying job I just started. So the pluses, I can put down a large security/down payment and I have a high paying job. The bad part, I have a foreclosure and bankruptcy on my credit report.

Every homeowner I talk to or realtor wants to run a credit report on me and wants me to pay for it, so that is like $30 or more for each one. I am hoping that I can convince a homeowner directly that I am a good candidate to rent. But finding a place is really hard.

Comment

I don't know your situation or how much 'stuff' you've got, but would putting it into storage and staying with a friend while you house hunt be an option?

Also, have you tried posting an ad on Craigslist to cull the herd? You could spell out your situation there and you would only get responses from owners who were okay with your bk.
        There are two secrets for success in life:
        1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

I agree with debee - you're taking a chance of throwing away that $2K cash for keys..... dont do that. Is there no friends you can temporarily stay with prior to the 26th so that you can still get the $?

Comment

Sounds like THEY are calling your bluff.

Better accept the cash for keys while you still can and get out.

Once the eviction goes public record (e.g. suit filed), it becomes very difficult to rent. That is the ONE thing land lords look for when they pull credit, land lords over look BK, foreclosure, poor credit, but when they see an eviction (or collections for unpaid utilities) that is pretty much game over for renting.

Comment

I would call one of those "container storage" places, have them deliver it to your house, put your stuff in it, and call them to come take it to storage. Meanwhile, stay with a friend, or last resort rent a hotel room while you look.

One tip I can share....since I've been searching for homes, I've found that if you identify homes that have not sold in a LONG time and have had their prices reduced, if you call the realtor and offer to rent, they sometimes will say yes, especially if the homeowner is desperate to sell. You are helping them out by paying the mortgage, and they are helping you out by allowing you to rent with bankruptcy on your credit. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Also...always remember, MONEY TALKS.

Comment

From a military wife (even though the main move for a PCS was free, you still had to take stuff with you to get settled until your belongings arrived a few weeks later)

For packing:

Contractor strength 55 gallon trash bags pack bedding, towels, winter coats, clothing, etc. inexpensively and take up less space. I sealed them with paper tape.

Banker's boxes with lids (you can get a dozen for $35-50) package books, knick-knacks and kitchen goods/utensils really well and are easy to carry and stack. We secured the lids with paper tape.

The best tape to move with is brown paper tape and is sold by U-Haul and is under $5 for a 55 yard roll. You can tear it by hand, it doesn't try to stick all to itself and it is as strong as any moving tape we have ever used.

I just saw that U-Haul will ship all of their moving supplies for free.

And tjsmiley's idea about the container is AWESOME - I think we are going to do that here!

Good luck!!
                ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X