top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiting for Notice of Sheriff's Sale - Response requested.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for Notice of Sheriff's Sale - Response requested.

Hello,

I have/had two mortgages on a property valued at 113K-140K. Owed 122K of 135K on first mortgage, and an additional 45K on a second.

Wife & I filed Chap 7 in Sep 2009, and debt discharged Jan 2010. At the lawyer's advice we did not affirm either mortgage, nor did we surrender the property; lawyer said just stop paying & eventually it'll go into foreclosure, sheriff's sale, etc. He filed a 'proof of note' or something that the mortgage company (was local, then bought by National City, who was then bought by PNC) is required to provide before they can foreclose. Basically to prove they own the note on the house. I imagine that's the reason it's taken them so long to foreclose.

I'm in South Dakota, which allows 180 days from date of sheriff's sale to vacate. So we've been living here until we receive the notice of sheriff's sale, then figure we've got about six months to find someplace else to live. So far, 2 years in the house rent-free, which is good financially but difficult emotionally.

My question is this - is there any way I can find out how this is moving along, without speeding up the process?

Also, I've thought about trying to work with the mortgage company, to see if there's a way I could keep the first mortgage without having to be tied to the second. My lawyer says that won't happen, but it's difficult to just do nothing but wait.

Any help or constructive opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.
    C7 Filed: 2009-11-06 | 341: 2009-12-14: | DISCHARGED: 2010-02-09
    Condo: Walked away due to 2nd mortgage intransigence; 1st foreclosed. Now totally DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Are both of your mortgages with the same bank?

Good luck to us all.
      No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

You are very lucky to have lived there for 2 years mortgage free. My friend lost his job in June of this year and they just sent him a notice of a Sheriff sale to be held on December 7th. Then has 180 days to redeem and then he has to be out. So one year from last payment to having to leave. Makes it pretty tough to recover in that short of time. On the other hand, getting on with his life is quicker and hopefully he will come out better on the other side.
        Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X