Deficiency Judgements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deficiency Judgements

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so if it isn't then maybe a moderator can move it. My friend owns a home in Michigan that is in foreclosure. She is now living in Florida and receives a $1200 per month private pension from Ford. She has an adult daughter who has a brain injury and is paralyzed who lives with her. She is married but probably not for much longer. Is she safe from getting her pension garnished if her lender gets a deficiency judgement? I'm understanding that garnishment of private pensions vary by state. I'm having a hard time finding anything definitive about this for Florida or Michigan on the internet.
    Stopped paying creditors - August 2010....Filed chapter 7 - July 29, 2011....341 - September 2, 2011....DISCHARGED AND CLOSED - November 2, 2011

Pensions are exempt in Florida, also insurance and annuities. 'Hub

EDIT: 11 U.S.C. ยง 522
    With the Florida bankruptcy exemptions, your assets can be exempt from bankruptcy. Learn how you can be protected from creditors.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks! Do you know how it is in Michigan? Since she's being paid a pension from a Michigan company I'm wondering if they can garnish...if Michigan allows it.
      Stopped paying creditors - August 2010....Filed chapter 7 - July 29, 2011....341 - September 2, 2011....DISCHARGED AND CLOSED - November 2, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ecoastbound View Post
        Thanks! Do you know how it is in Michigan? Since she's being paid a pension from a Michigan company I'm wondering if they can garnish...if Michigan allows it.
        It is real easy to Google some of this. Google "bankruptcy exemptions Michigan. Try it. I'll edit after I do it for your ease. 'Hub

Edit: http://www.bankruptcyinformation.com/mi_exemp.htm
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X