Quick question about someone else occupying our home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about someone else occupying our home

Bankruptcy is set to be discharged July 23rd or so...we finally received a letter from our lender indicating that they will begin the foreclosure process. We are currently working out of state and have a family friend occupying our home as a "caretaker" while we're "away" for insurance and maintenance purposes. Should we notify the bank of this, that we are not occupying the home any longer, but have a caretaker there? Or could that cause them to go and change locks and all that jazz?

Also, it is my understanding that they hand-deliver notices to the house...but how does that work if we no longer live there? We filed a change of address with the courts so we're good there (or should be), but the mortgage company is still sending documents to our home. Should I call them? I don't even know who to call!

Hi memama. I think you are okay with leaving everything as it is. Just let your caretaker-friend know everything up front, so they don't get a nasty surprise. I'm sure you're doing that already. Leave the bank out of it and let the foreclosure process plot it's own course.

Good luck to you!
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks AngelinaCat. I'm keeping our friend updated on everything and notified them that they will likely receive some knocks on the door. Our friend's girlfriend is a bit nervous about answering the door because she doesn't know what to tell them if they try to serve papers. Would they let her sign for docs like notices and whatnot? I don't care if she does...I figure if anyone should know a trustee's sale date or any other info regarding the house, it's our friends!

Comment

In our state, any person 18 years of age or older, can be served paperwork. So your friend's girlfriend can receive the papers. She does not need to tell the servers anything, although she may be asked her name, and other personal information. Tell her not to do that. She only has to give her name and address--if that.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Is she is asked who she is she could say "the short-term tenant". One could logically determine that they technically are paying rent in the form of services (lawncare, etc.).
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X