Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd People Taking Pictures

To all,

Just noticed recently by myself and family members of people (2x occasions in past 3 weeks) driving by and stopping to take pictures of my house. We have not yet been served any forclosure notices or anything, is this normal like the Mortgage servicer sending PI's? or should I report this to the police?. Thanks.

It is most likely the mortgage servicer sending someone to inspect to see if the residence appears occupied. Fairly standard practice.

Comment

i actually have a friend who does the inspections for a living. i never knew such a thing existed until he told me about it.

Comment

For the bank, the inspections are cheap too. The typical rate is only $15.00-$20.00, an additional $2.50-$5.00 if pictures are taken. If the property is outside a standard metro area, there can be an additional trip charge of $10 to $40.

Of course, those charges get added to the debtors bill. But in foreclosure, the bank ultimately pays for the service.

Depending on the state, a foreclosure costs a bank anywhere from $3,000 for a smooth, no hassle foreclosure to upwards of 12,000+.
        Last edited by HHM; 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Something similar happened at my house yesterday, except the scary part was:

A man taking pics of my house was standing in my driveway when my two daughters got off the bus. (There have been suspicious incidences in the area where young boys have been approached on two separate occasions within the past week- at their bus stops) so my girl's bus driver waited until my daughters got inside my house before leaving. If I would have known someone was in my driveway right at that moment I would of for sure let my 3 dogs put a little fear into him. (I have a Rottie, a Great Dane who is very vocal, and an Amstaff - all three which are scary by nature.)

That would have been kind of funny.

The guy hightailed it out of there as soon as the bus pulled away. Makes you wonder if he was legit or not...

I think from now on I will let my dogs outside 5 min before the bus comes every day...

Comment

We had a similar incident at our home. Someone came to our home while we were inside, walked around the front yard, then was caught peeking in my 17 year old daughters bedroom window. When confronted, this man was indignant and claimed he had rights from Bank of America. He also demanded my ID. I told him where he could stick his request. I called my lawyer and reported what happened. He fired off a formal complaint to BOA. Haven't seen anyone since.

Comment

Very few people actually read their deed, but if you do, there is a clause relating to "preservation of the property." In that clause, you have agreed to allow the bank (and its agents) to come on to your property. So, just FYI, if the person is employed by the bank...which based on what everyone has described, is almost 99% certain what is happening, they are NOT trespassing.

The clause typically reads

Lender or its agent may make reasonable entries upon and inspections of the Property. If it has reasonable cause, Lender may inspect the interior of the improvements on the Property. Lender shall give Borrower notice at the time of or prior to such an interior inspection specifying such reasonable cause.

http://www.**********.com/blog/2012/...g-by-my-house/
              Last edited by HHM; 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                Very few people actually read their deed, but if you do, there is a clause relating to "preservation of the property." In that clause, you have agreed to allow the bank (and its agents) to come on too your property. So, just FYI, if the person is employed by the bank...which based on what everyone has described, is almost 99% certain what is happening, they are NOT trespassing.

The clause typically reads

http://www.**********.com/blog/2012/...g-by-my-house/
                Your post HHM is an understatement. I think most people that are in foreclosure do understand the banks rights. What the bank doesn't have a right to do is invade privacy and act as though they are law enforcement by demanding ID. I have no problem what so ever if BOA wants to come around my home, I object though, to them peeking in windows when it is obvious there are people inside. All they have to do in my particular situation is ring the damn door bell. I have no fear of Bank of America. Your post came across like a scolding teacher. We are are not a dumb as you seem to indicate.

Comment

Kmarttin, sorry if you took the post that way. However, this question gets asked so often, not just here, but lots of places, so I think there is quite a bit of misunderstanding about it. Heck, until I researched it, I didn't know the extent to which the deed allows the lender certain rights.

But you are correct, if the inspector acts inappropriately, that is a problem. But, here we need to separate fact from hyperbole. The issue is where is that line. For example, you say the inspector "act as though they are law enforcement". Did the inspector say they were law enforcement? Or, did you merely interpret it that way? There is nothing inherently wrong with asking for ID. Here is the issue, the inspector is trying to verify whether the borrower resides in the home, or someone else. That's okay. You don't have to comply, but the inspector is free to ask.

Also, looking through a window is not an invasion of privacy so long as the location of where the person is doing the viewing has a right to be there. The most common example is viewing from the street. But, under the deed, they have a right to go onto the property. Now, opening a window, moving the curtain aside, would be an invasion of privacy. Also, the action cannot exceed the scope of the purpose, the inspector cannot stand there for 20 minutes leering into the window.
                  Last edited by HHM; 12-07-2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                    Kmarttin, sorry if you took the post that way. However, this question gets asked so often, not just here, but lots of places, so I think there is quite a bit of misunderstanding about it. Heck, until I researched it, I didn't know the extent to which the deed allows the lender certain rights.

But you are correct, if the inspector acts inappropriately, that is a problem. But, here we need to separate fact from hyperbole. The issue is where is that line. For example, you say the inspector "act as though they are law enforcement". Did the inspector say they were law enforcement? Or, did you merely interpret it that way? There is nothing inherently wrong with asking for ID. Here is the issue, the inspector is trying to verify whether the borrower resides in the home, or someone else. That's okay. You don't have to comply, but the inspector is free to ask.

Also, looking through a window is not an invasion of privacy so long as the location of where the person is doing the viewing has a right to be there. The most common example is viewing from the street. But, under the deed, they have a right to go onto the property. Now, opening a window, moving the curtain aside, would be an invasion of privacy. Also, the action cannot exceed the scope of the purpose.
                    Somehow I wonder if you work for a bank. I understand fully why the bank does what it does. I accept that they have rights. What I do not accept is this idiot's actions and I did not misinterpret anything, The dude demanded ID, did not request. My garage door was open, two cars in the driveway. There was no reason what so ever for this idiot, no matter what rights the bank has, to peek into a window, when all he needed to do was ring the door bell. For this idiot to become indignant when confronted about why he was looking in my daughters window while she was in her bedroom, scaring her half to death, was lucky I didn't pop a cap in his kneecap. You can pontificate all you want dude, but I am a human being with rights and those rights include civility on behalf of the bank. They want information, all they have to do is ask. We are hiding nothing. One more thing HHM, there are no if's in any of this. The inspector had no noticeable ID and when he asked for mine, it was a show yours and I will show you mine situation. This is a very difficult time for my family and idiots like that do not help. Your post leaves me with a sour taste. You usually come across decent, but this time HHM, you missed the mark. HHM, I come to your home and peek into your window and you do not see that as an invasion of privacy? My goodness.
                    Last edited by kmattin; 12-07-2012, 07:20 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X