top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking away from home 2 years after discharge, will it affect credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking away from home 2 years after discharge, will it affect credit?

My situation is this:

1. I received my discharge in 2011. I did not reaffirm my mortgage.
    2. I continue to make payments and live in the house
    3. I worked out a loan modification in 2012
    4. Recently, I found out I need a major repair at my home that I can not afford. I am underwater $10-15K on the house.

I want to know what consequences on my credit report there would be if I stop paying with the intention of staying until foreclosure. Does a foreclosure show up on my report even though I have no obligation to pay for the house? Another major negative on my credit is something that will affect my career.

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback.

I did the same and walked after a period of time. Once mortgage is discharged, as long as it was no reffirmed, you can walk. No foreclosure should show on your CR, however if it does you can dispute. Keep in mind, when you go buy again, they will know you had a foreclosure. It did not show on my CR, as it shouldn't.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
      I did the same and walked after a period of time. Once mortgage is discharged, as long as it was no reffirmed, you can walk. No foreclosure should show on your CR, however if it does you can dispute. Keep in mind, when you go buy again, they will know you had a foreclosure. It did not show on my CR, as it shouldn't.
      Interesting.....our new credit report shows foreclosure, with different lender, and we have received NO paperwork at all (ch 13 discharge was last month, no reaffirmation of house) re this. I'll let attorney know tomorrow

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I also wanted to know if I am responsible for property taxes if I stop paying before foreclosure.

Another thing is if I get fined for any property violations before I am clear of the title, does that follow me?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X