loan for attorney fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loan for attorney fees?

Can you take out a loan for attorney fees? I know it is bad but I just don't know what to do we are bankrupt because we don't have any money and even if we find a attorney to take payments and make payments on the filing fee it is still going to kill us.

Are you filing a 7 or 13?
    Date Filed: 12/19/2004
    341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
    Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
    Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

Attorney's will take payments, they just won't do the work or filing until the payment is made in full. If they didn't offer that to you, ask them that specifically. This could be a workable solution unless there is a need to file immediately to save a house, or the like.

When we filed, we paid our attorney $500 upfront, then the balance two months later. But he told me we could send whatever we wanted whenever we wanted and he would file once we made payments that equaled his quoted fee.

Comment

Not sure if I am doing a 7 or 13. The house is in foreclosure I was thinking of saving it but I am still not sure.

Comment

Why not set up a free consultation with a lawyer and see what he has to say? This way you won't have to guess what your options are and you will have a clearer view what you can do concerning your home and bills.
          You really don't have anything to lose at this point.
          Good luck.I hope everything turns out OK for you!
          Donna

Filed Pro Se August 10,2006 :cry: 341 Meeting: September 19,2006 :blink: Last Day to Object: November 20,2006 :cool: Discharged: November 27,2006 :clapping: CLOSED: December 15,2006 :tongue:

Comment

Originally posted by karenandsteven View Post
            Not sure if I am doing a 7 or 13. The house is in foreclosure I was thinking of saving it but I am still not sure.
            You need to step back from that house and look at it objectively. You cannot be the loving owner looking at their Home.

Is the house and the expenses associated with it the driving force of your debt??

If the answer is YES, then let the house go.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I had to pay my attorney $450 up front. The rest of his fee was tied into the Chapter 13 payment. The total cost was $1,500 but besides the $450, the remainder of the fee was paid through the Chapter 13 payments.
              Date Filed: 12/19/2004
              341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
              Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
              Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

Originally posted by karenandsteven View Post
                Um, you better make that decision soon. Once Forclosure starts only a bankruptcy filling will stop it temporarily.

Comment

Everything was figured in my 13. I didn't have to pay anything down.

Comment

We only had to pay the filing fee in our 13. The rest was in the plan. Our attorney said that way the creditors were actually paying his fee which was $1700.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X