Questions regarding marriage/shared accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding marriage/shared accounts

First the good news, my Chapter 13 discharge was almost a year ago, made it through a 5 year plan. I have started rebuilding credit and (crossing fingers) trying to buy a house. During the course of my bankruptcy I got divorced.

I recently got re-married, my new wife and I had a wedding, but we did not file the paperwork to make it "official". This is because she has a number of big issues with her credit because of things done by her ex and is hoping to file Chapter 7. Her alone should be able to easily do a 7 where as if we were married she might get stuck in a 13. For various reasons it will be a while until she can actually file.

For the moment we did not file the marriage paperwork to make it easier for her to file a 7 (I make significantly more) and also to make sure that there was no way her creditors could come after my income in any way. Also we do not as of yet have any joint checking accounts, thou there are some things that would be more convenient with a joint account.

So my question is would simply having a joint bank account expose us to risk related to her debts?

We plan on making the marriage "legal" once we can get a ch7 filed and discharged for her and get things cleaned up.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X