where to live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to live

I am surrendering my house and car in the ch7. I imagine that I will have to be out of my house around June or July (I have not yet filed, but I am sure that they will start a foreclosure) My question is 'should I get an apartment now?' before I file so that my credit doesn't look so bad?

I'm surrendering my home during bk, but still living in it until the discharge. Enjoy a couple of months without having to pay a mortgage or rent, save for your deposit. You don't have to vacate until you are forclosed on, you can leave if you want to. There is probably nothing worse to your credit than BK anyway, so why worry about a forclosure.
    Edyta...
    Discharged April 2005

Comment

Save for a bigger deposit

Be perpared to pay a bigger deposit too. I am still waiting for my discharge and i find a nice place and they don;t want to rent to me because of the bk and if they do the place is crap and they still want 3 times the rent. Rent on a decent place in Los Angeles is about $1200 plus. So i need a min $3600.00 to $4500.00. I am finding life a little hard right now, looking for it to a change soooooon.

Comment

Okay...so I did go ahead and secure an apartment. My credit score is still an amazing 710 (not for too much longer) I am really glad that I did this before I filed. I have heard really bad stories about people not being able to get an apartment. My lawyer even advised me to do this. Now I just have to wait a few months to file (if this new bill doesn't make me do it sooner!)

Comment

Originally posted by worriedbk7
          Okay...so I did go ahead and secure an apartment. My credit score is still an amazing 710 (not for too much longer) I am really glad that I did this before I filed. I have heard really bad stories about people not being able to get an apartment. My lawyer even advised me to do this. Now I just have to wait a few months to file (if this new bill doesn't make me do it sooner!)
          Good work! Yes, it can be extremely difficult to rent an apartment with a BK on your credit report. However, be certain that you aren't late paying your rent each month!! Because if for some reason, you need to vacate at the end of your lease, and get a new apartment, your good rental history can actually work in your favor towards renting another apartment! But you'll more than likley still be required to leave a larger deposit - which is better than not being able to rent at all.

Good Luck!
          The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X