Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to keep

We are about 8 months into our 60 month plan. I cleaned up my desk and looked through our papers. Do I need to keep all the copies of the paychecks? Do I need to keep any copies of the bills from the debt collectors? I was sloppy taking care of them. I had many I never opened and ended up shredding already. They were mostly bills from credit cards and offers for payment plans and then the collections. I don't know exactly what I have, but I have two folders with quite a few of them. I would love to shred them.

Is keeping the info I submitted to lawyer, the legal documents, the papers from a few lawsuits that started and the letters from the lawsuits after bankruptcy saying they were dismissed, all communications/letters from the trustee and the attorney after the bankruptcy good enough?

I would like to streamline it so I have three files. 1. Info submitted to attorney before BK and court papers from lawsuits 2. Legal documents from the actual BK 3 Paperwork received after BK from trustee and attorney.

I would keep proof of any payments you've made to you Ch 13 plan in the event there is a payment issue (i.e., trustee files motions to dismiss for failing to make payments). As for bills from debt collectors, Id toss them and just keep credit card statements, which won't be of much use after confirmation. I only needed pre-petition credit card statements after confirmation one time to submit a class-action claim for a refund of overcharging at a retail clothing chain store my family used to shop at, to get as large of a refund as possible.
    Filed Ch 13 November 2013, discharged March 2019

Comment

It sounds like I can really get rid of almost everything. The payments come out of my paycheck, so I have a record on my paystubs (which are electronic, I could print whenever) and the trustee will send out reports (don't remember the time frame maybe yearly?). I don't think I have any of the credit card statements I started to shred them before bankruptcy after I made payments and then after I stopped paying. I might have a few mixed in with the collection bills. It's really nice to have minimal paperwork laying around. It's nice to have minimal mail for that matter--no credit card bills filling up the mailbox anymore and so much easier to do the budget and pay the "regular" bills.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X