Question about converting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about converting??

I have been trying to search for the answer but have come up with nothing concrete.

If you originally filed Chapter 7 (new law) and the US Trustee wants you to convert to a 13 - and you do. So a couple of years into the plan something changes (such as new child or loss of income) - can you convert back to a chapter 7?
    Filed Chap 7 6/30/06 - 341 Meeting 8/1/06 -
    Deadline for objections 10/10/06
    US Trustee extended deadline to 12/9/06
    Dishcharged 12/29/2006

where there's a way there's a will .. surely there is something that can be amended if you income decreases and you cant meet payments again ??? did you consult a lawyer too ???

im was in a 13 now going to a 7 but never heard of 7 to a 13 than back to a a 7 again

best wishes, catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Yes. You can convert if meeting a payment plan is not longer possible. My attorney also said the U.S. Trustee rarely challenges these conversions.
      U.S. Trustee Filed Motion to Dismiss 11/17/2006
      Filed to Convert to Ch. 13 12/11/2006
      Ch. 13 341 Meeting 01/30/2007
      Ugh...

Comment

Actually, under the old law, and I imagine its the same under the new law...if you were in a Chapter 7 to start with, converted to a Chatper 13, you generally cannot convert back to a Chapter 7. If I remember correctly, you can only convert from a 13 to a 7 if the case was originally filed as a 13.

As with any adivce on this forum, you should check with an attorney...but I think you may be out of luck on this particular issue.

Comment

Disagree based on what I've been advised and the fact that our circumstances are exactly as described in the first post (hoping to satisfy the U.S. Trustee however and avoid conversion) but agree absolutely that an attorney should be consulted in any case where there is a doubt. This forum should always be used as a secondary source of info. And if you're correct...Guess it's time to look for a new attorney!
          Last edited by macsen; 10-14-2006, 12:18 PM.
          U.S. Trustee Filed Motion to Dismiss 11/17/2006
          Filed to Convert to Ch. 13 12/11/2006
          Ch. 13 341 Meeting 01/30/2007
          Ugh...

Comment

Originally posted by macsen View Post
            Disagree based on what I've been advised and the fact that our circumstances are exactly as described in the first post (hoping to satisfy the U.S. Trustee however and avoid conversion) but agree absolutely that an attorney should be consulted in any case where there is a doubt. This forum should always be used as a secondary source of info. And if you're correct...Guess it's time to look for a new attorney!
            I checked, I had it a little confused....

You cannot voluntarily DISMISS a chapter 13 if it had previously been converted from a chapter 7. But as best as I can tell, you can go from a 7 to a 13, then back to a 7. But you will have to meet all the requirements for a Chapter 7 when you attempt to convert from a 13 to a 7. Honestly, such an occurrence is pretty rare, and given how low the disposable income threshold is for 13's now, once it one, its pretty difficult to fall out of one short of another serious financial set back.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X