Switching Banks and Insurance Companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Banks and Insurance Companies

I'm looking to switch banks, for obvious reasons..bankruptcy and not letting my credit union take money from me..not that I have it to take.

Any ideas on banks..I'd like to do it all online...5th 3rd? Anyone know of any?

Also, ideas on cheaper car insurance other than State Farm? I pay about $600 a year for a 97 Taurus.

Last but not least..I'm gonna have to pay for my own medical insurance..at work it's around $70 monthly, but not the greatest and so many people have a hard time getting bills paid. Maybe why I'm having a hard time gaining hours...

Anyway, does anyone have medical insurance they have found reasonable? At least until I can find another job where I can get benefits? If I can?

My self esteem and confidence are so low over this debt and divorce I have no idea how I'm going to find another job to help me get a better paycheck. I feel like I'm paranoid all the time and cry at the drop of a hat.

BUT...I have to get my life in order. That's why I'm looking for a new bank, new insurance for my car (cheaper if possible), and medical coverage.

I would sure appreciate any and all suggestions VERY much.

Thanks!
    Last edited by HopefulInOhio; 12-08-2006, 05:22 PM.

I've been told by people on this forum and by my BK lawyer to switch banks before filing. I switched to Regions bank and did it all online but it really helps if you have a local branch in your area. I'd suggest looking in the phone book and making a list of your local banks and then checking out their terms online, touring their website, etc. Pick the one with the best terms that has a branch and ATM's that are convenient for you.

I didn't change my insurance company but my best advice there is to visit a few independent insurance agents in your area and stay away from doing the auto insurance online. Independent agents aren't affiliated with a specific insurance company so they can find you the best deal across many different companies.

As for medical insurance...you're not going to find anything close to the $70 monthly premium your employer charges. When I was considering taking a contracted job that didn't provide insurance I did some research and decent, comprehensive health care was going to cost me an average of about $300 a month to pay for it myself. But talk to the insurance agents about health care also. Depending on what kind of coverage you need maybe they can find you an affordable policy and you might even get a discount if you have your auto and health insurance with the same company.

Keep checking for replies...I imagine you will get a lot of good (and better) advice from the long-timers on this forum than what I can offer.

niteflytes
    Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
    TU: 535

Comment

When Hubby got laid off, the kids had to have medical insurance to participate in anything at school. COBRA was horrendous, so I looked at plans for the kids only. Best I found was right at $60/mo with extremely limited coverage. $5K deductible. No doctors office calls, no meds coverage. And a $250K limit on pay-out.

We'd already met our deductibles for the year with the company insurance so I crunched numbers. Basically 1 incident and we were equal to the payments for COBRA for the rest of the year. AND everyone in the family was covered. Not just the kids. So we went with the COBRA.

Good thing too. When Hubby got the new job, new employer's insurance company wanted a Cert of Continuous Coverage or else we woulda been subject to a pre-existing conditions probationary period.

Keep that Cert of Continuous Coverage in mind is you're even thinking you might change jobs.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X