Windfall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windfall

All of you in Bk, whether it would be Ch7 or Ch13, IF you scratched a lottery ticket for - let's say $25,000 - $100,000. What would you do ! ? ? ?

BE HONEST ..

ME - if it was just in the thousands:
    * Let someone else claim it
    * pay off my car
    * pay ahead on some of my regular living expenses *utility bill/rent - you know *
    * just live a lil PHAT !

BUT - if it was in the millions:
    * mayBE have my case dismissed and pay off those sorry creditors AND HOPEFULLY make sure they straighten up
    my credit scores/fico etc.
    * would like to start an animal shelter
    * live as simple as possible . . try not to attract attention .. but I would like a nice car for sure * LAMBORGHINI *

STILL DREAMING !

Catchmeifyoucan
    Last edited by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN; 12-12-2006, 11:42 PM.
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

pst.....Shhhhh, I afraid I would do the same thing. Heck.....I know I would do the same thing.

Comment

Hmmm... I'll take "Lottery Tickets for ten, Alex"
      What is something you shouldn't spend money on especially while being in BK?

Now if it was given to me, different story.
      "Try to save money. Someday it may be valuable again." - Anonymous

Comment

Sure on one in an active BK should be spending money on Lottery tickets, but can you honestly say you can resist! Not me, I've won $100 a couple of time this past month on a $5 ticket and I can tell you it was a BIG help for Christmas. If I ever hit it big, someone in my family would love me very much, I'd give them enough to cover the taxes and a nice tidy bonus! Here's hoping!
        Filed..........August 10. 2006
        341.........September 22, 2006
        Last Day for Objections........November 21, 2006
        Discharged............November 27, 2006

Comment

I'm running through the short list of names right now. Ah yes, I do have someone who would love to "win" the lottery and would be very generous to me, on a cash only basis, with the winnings.

Comment

Originally posted by ConnieS View Post
            Sure on one in an active BK should be spending money on Lottery tickets, but can you honestly say you can resist!
            Yes, as a matter of fact I can. I haven't bought a lottery ticket in probably more than a decade... and I'm only 37.

When you jump up and down about that $200 you made... think a bit about how many LOSING tickets you bought over the years. Now, are you REALLY ahead? I doubt it. Most people aren't, after all, that's how the lottery makes money... the odds are in favor of a LOT of losers and a few winners.

Do what you want... but I'm staying away from gambling... I know that I have an addictive personality and could get hooked easily... so I stay away.
            Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
            341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
            Discharge: 1/12/07
            Closed:1/19/07

Comment

Well, in my case I think I can honestly say I am ahead. I spend only $5 a week. If I win I keep "feeding" on my winnings (ie buy more tickets) If I lose, that's it for the week. Not that I am saying playing the lottery is a sure fire way to hit it big, it is fun, and you know what.............you never know. A couple of years ago my niece hit $5000 on a $1 ticket!
              Filed..........August 10. 2006
              341.........September 22, 2006
              Last Day for Objections........November 21, 2006
              Discharged............November 27, 2006

Comment

I like the powerball, ect. I think $1 is a small price to pay for an afternoon of dreaming.
                Filed: 10/26/2006
                Discharged: 03/05/2007
                Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

It Only Takes A Buck And 5-6 Lucky Numbers !

Still Dreaming ! Catchmeifyoucan !
                  July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                  Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                  Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                  Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I would put it in a safe deposit box at a bank, and wait out the majority of the 6 or 12 month period that is allowed to claim the prize. Then claim it!

Comment

If it was an amount that couldn't buy me out of my ch 13 early (10 more months to go!)--say 10k--I would have a trusted relative or friend cash it, throw a couple grand their way, and then just save the money for those awful unexpected things that come up (car repairs, sick pet, etc.). Having a cushion for the "what if...?" thoughts would really relieve a lot of stress.

If it was a ridiculously huge amount in the millions, I'd pay off the jerky creditors to be finished with bk, give some money to members of my family, make my house the way I want it to be, and then starting some sort of an animal shelter sounds like an awesome idea to me!!!

It doesn't hurt to daydream every now and then.
                      jai guru deva om--nothing's gonna change my world...

Comment

For the 7ers, I don't think it really matters if you cash it in after your case is dismissed. As for the 13ers (like myself), I'd wait until after the final date for anyone to file a claim, cash it in, pay off the debts, and get my life back. But that's just me.
                        09/13/06: -- C13 filed with Courts
                        12/04/06: -- Plan confirmed!
                        Payments left: -- 38

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X