Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiring An Attorney . . .

I have talked to four attorneys.

I'm wondering how you know which one to choose.

Do you look at the number of years they've been practicing as a bankruptcy attorney?

Three of them seemed younger, yet eager to take on our case... indicating that we're good candidates for 7. The fourth was older, much more experience under his belt, as well as more cautious, informative about possible problems.... seemed almost leary.

I don't know if that (4th) attorney would be best due to his amount of years in "the business".

....any comments appreciated

thank you lots.

l

Typically, you won't get a lot from any "seasoned" attny in a Consult. Consults are generally just "Meet and Greet". Attnys get down to brass tacks once you decide to hire them and pay a retainer.

If you've done your research, and know what Ch of BK you want and/or would qualify for,.......... And attnys are telling you the same thing,......... That's good.

The cautious guy may have good reasons for being cautious. With experience comes wisdom. I'll bet he's had some cases that looked straightforward on the surface turn upside down on him. Maybe he sees something in the overview of your case that looks like it might be a Yellow or Red Flag.

Don't just summarily rule him out because he sounded cautious.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I would go for the atty with the most experience.

Comment

I agree with Ch7Ted, the one with the most experience and knows alot about how the Trustee(s) will act/react about things. I was surfing through the net as I was in the process of actually going through a debt mgmt company (TOTAL RIP OFF). I called my brother for advice and he told me to get out of that program and just file Bk. He gave me a lawyers website/phone number, the funny thing was it was the same lawyer that I had looked up a month ago, I got the feeling my brother used him before so I just went with him. He's been so honest and upfront with me even suggested that I quit one job so I could file Ch7 instead of Ch13 to pay less service charge/fee. Eventually couple months into Ch13 I did what he suggested, now I'm discharged.

Best Wishes, Catchmeifyouca
        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by leelee View Post
          I have talked to four attorneys.

I'm wondering how you know which one to choose.

Do you look at the number of years they've been practicing as a bankruptcy attorney?

Three of them seemed younger, yet eager to take on our case... indicating that we're good candidates for 7. The fourth was older, much more experience under his belt, as well as more cautious, informative about possible problems.... seemed almost leary.

I don't know if that (4th) attorney would be best due to his amount of years in "the business".

....any comments appreciated

thank you lots.

l
          Hi leelee,

I would suggest that you go sit in on a few 341 sessions at your local courthouse (in the district where you will be filing). They are open to the public and noone will wonder why you're there.

You will know immediately which lawyers are sharp, organized, and professional. The others you should pass on. Note: Only maybe 5% will fall into the "sharp" category, and they will charge a bit more - but well worth it.

Best wishes,
          spongenotbob

Comment

Originally posted by spongenotbob View Post
            Hi leelee,

I would suggest that you go sit in on a few 341 sessions at your local courthouse (in the district where you will be filing). They are open to the public and noone will wonder why you're there.

You will know immediately which lawyers are sharp, organized, and professional. The others you should pass on. Note: Only maybe 5% will fall into the "sharp" category, and they will charge a bit more - but well worth it.

Best wishes,
            spongenotbob
            That's good advise. I know it was clear at our 341 which were the good attorneys and which weren't. Mine fell somewhere in the middle to the top which made me feel good. He didn't have our tax return which we needed but he was on top of all the questions and prepared us well. There was another lawyer there with 3-4 clients in a row. It was obvious his clients were confused. He wasn't much help. He seemed to be reviewing the next case or the last case rather than helping his clients with the 341 that was happening. He seemed to not know some new law changes even though our 341 was at the end of 2006. I was glad he wasn't our lawyer. Another lawyer there had two slightly more complicated cases (buisness, surendering house, back child-support due, both 2nd bankruptcies) and he seemed very on top of what was going on.
            Filed: 10/26/2006
            Discharged: 03/05/2007
            Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X