best way to file pro se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to file pro se

Took the first step down this road today by getting my credit counseling certificate. Filing pro se seems to be the way to go for me since I have no real assets to protect. Chapter 7 for me. Is the Nolo package the safest bet for someone filing pro se? Or are there better materials out there?

Originally posted by icantwin View Post
    Took the first step down this road today by getting my credit counseling certificate. Filing pro se seems to be the way to go for me since I have no real assets to protect. Chapter 7 for me. Is the Nolo package the safest bet for someone filing pro se? Or are there better materials out there?
    Ever since the new laws, Pro Se is a dangerous road indeed. Mind if I ask how much debt we're talking about?

snb

Comment

Dangerous road indeed! LOL...I filed Pro se. Used info on this site, the NOLO book and it was a walk in the park for me. 12K in IRS taxs..POOF! about 278K in secured RE loans..POOF! almost a 100K in CC debt...POOF! Cost me a whopping $299. Understand that these were my experiences. Unless you have some fairly substantial cognitive horsepower to back up your desire to file Pro Se you might want to talk to an attorney. LOTS of people file Pro se and have no problems and LOTS of people file with an attorney and have all kinds of issues...go figure!
      NOTE: I am not a lawyer...any advice I give is for entertainment purposes only. Legal questions should be directed to competent counsel. I am just a troll. Or a Toad.

Comment

Lawyer needed if cases involved fraud, complex history/scenarios, or filers are busy working full time and/or don't have enough time resources to study materials/law/filing procedures for themselves. Also involve cases with people have LOT of stresses with life, can't relax, can't concentrate, & can't simply deal with BK ALONE.

Filing Pro Se requires courage, calm attitude, dedication, patience, prepareness, thoroughness, & time devotion (but not much $) to be success.
        Last edited by BKOnce; 03-01-2007, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I went to the library and got a great book on how to file bankruptcy. I took my time, was very thourough and researched everything to death. It would have been much easier to have a lawyer do it, but I felt that the time I spent was well worth the money I saved.

Comment

If you have a fairly straight forward, no asset Case, then I would certainly give it a go. Nolo is good. And Research, Research, Research!!

In our case, I would not have felt at all comfortable facing our Trustee without a well respected attny with us. We had moved, sold a house, had to use Out of State Exemptions. We were no asset, but hardly straight forward. It was good to have our attny by our side asserting that he had checked out everything we stated in our Petition.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by icantwin View Post
              I used the Nolo book and all the info I found on this site...

Anytime I was stuck these guys here gave me the answers also there is a phone # on this board for NY residence who can get free legal assistance with Law students who have knowledge of the process through the law firms there interning at.

BTW I am discharged and closed so easily...
              Discharged... 2/13/07 Closed... 2/20/07
              Ochard Bank $600 Household Bank $600
              Hooters Card $1000 Target Store Card $500
              Discover HSBC $300

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X