No announcement yet.

Effect of BK on Government Jobs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is true to a degree. However, if the job requires a security clearance the BK can influence the ability to be granted a clearance. If the job requires a clearance and you can't get a clearance then no job. At least in DoD, the security clearance process is not handled or decided upon by anyone in your agency. It all happens in another agency like DSS(defense security) or OPM or other security offices (Army, Air Force, Navy).

Same thing about medical records. Yes your medical records are private but when applying for a clearance you have to sign release forms for medical records. If you don't sign the release forms your clearance may not go through and thus no job.

Comment

I know in the Army it takes 1 year after you discharge to receive a security clearance.
      Filed Ch 7 8/12/10
      341 Meeting 9/15/10
      Discharged 11/15/10

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast View Post
        BK can impact your ability to get some jobs. Jobs in the Financial industry. Jobs that require Security Clearance. Even in the military,........ Some jobs and duty stations would not be available to you due to BK.
        I've heard about these a lot and even more than that. One thing I've always been wondering was that how BK affect your availability, especially in the military. Does that mean BK can impose an image on you such as being irresponsible, reckless and just simply bad?
        Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

It’s a general image of irresponsibility due to not properly managing your finances. It can even relate to someone who has not filed for BK for the simplest of debt missteps such as missing a CC payment or two or writing a bad check. Of course, every situation is different and should be evaluated on its own for the “total person” concept.

Comment

Although this is an old revived thread, I wanted to post my two cents for people who might be looking for others in the same situation.

I've been out of work for almost two years, and I just snagged a job with the federal government. (Very hard to get in my area so I'm overjoyed)

I also just got approved for an interim secret clearance and I'm one year, 3 months out of bankruptcy (discharged) and one year and 7 months since I filed bankruptcy.

I mitigated the circumstances with the fact that I was unemployed.

Don't know what the out come will be for a full clearance however if you go here:

You will see many past cases for security clearances, and there are a lot of people who are approved for a clearance and many aren't even a full year out of bankruptcy.

What seems to be important is that you keep your credit report clean after the bankruptcy and you mitigate the bankruptcy with divorce, unemployment, illness....generally stuff that is beyond your control.

Also be 100% truthful on all security forms because they will find out, and if they find out you lied, you definitely won't get a clearance.
            Last edited by SeattleBK; 08-28-2010, 02:52 PM.
            02-12-2009, Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se
            03-24-2009, 341
            05-28-2009, Discharged!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X