keeping one credit card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping one credit card?

Can I selectively keep one card by simply not listing it in BK (Ch 7) filing? I have a balance on it but have had it since 1982. I also have another that has no balance and I plant to keep that one "empty" to hang on to after filing, but would really like to keep the other one. I think I may have asked this question before but cannot find it, so maybe not

thanks

I also would like to know the answer to this. I have an AMEX card that has a $0 balance, would we be able to keep it if we do not list it? this would be nice for emergencies.

Comment

You can not pick and choose who you want to discharge. You have to list ALL of your debts. Even the smallest.

Comment

But if it has a $0 balance you do not have to list it, right? because it is not a current debt?

Comment

I think technically you are suppose to list it. I really dont think you will be able to use it though once you file. The credit card companies do credit checks all the time and they might cancel the card once they see you filed BK.

Comment

In Florida if they are not listed they are not discharged. the truth is you can reaffirm or conveniently forget to list one. i do not know the ramifications of "forgetting" in Florida. But i know several people who did it and nothing happened. They kept their AMEX cards. It was more than one individual. If you file and include AMEX you will never get another one. A friend who BK 7'd in 1986 still cannot get one.

Personally, I would keep AMEX of all of them. This isn't advice, it's just retrospect. HHM and Todd can tell you better what could happen in a worse case scenario.
            "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

If you have a zero balance, you can "forget" to list it. But you can't use it while the bankruptcy is pending. You must until after discharge to use it again, because while BK is pending, you are not allowed to use credit and no one is supposed to extend you credit.

Comment

Ya But lets say your amex is at $0 when you file, but what if previous payments within the last 90 days aggregate to more than $600.00 should you add it even if your balance is 0? and do you need to mention the previous payments if your balance is 0? As you can see I would like very much to save the good old Amex The only card that hasnt screwed me on interest lol

Comment

one card

Originally posted by HHM
                  If you have a zero balance, you can "forget" to list it. But you can't use it while the bankruptcy is pending. You must until after discharge to use it again, because while BK is pending, you are not allowed to use credit and no one is supposed to extend you credit.
                  the one I want to save is with a credit union when I was a Union worker (not credit union but labor union) years ago in another state, but I have maintained that card even after I moved. They are alwys nice and friendly to deal with, too.

I know I could not use it until BK was over and I thought I would even be honest with them and tell them I was filing and hoping since I have a 23 year history of excellent credit with them they would be willing to slowly let me build back credit with them. Am I just dreaming here?

Comment

I have a similar situation so I am interested in the answer....

Comment

It may not work. CC companies periodically CHECK and run your credit to see if you are still a reasonable risk. If you have a high debt to credit ratio, and the CC finds out about it, you may get your interest rates jscked up (I did!) for no other reason than the amount of debt you have. I also have had accounts closed because of credit scores as well.

Chances are, if you file, and they find out, you may have it made null and void by the CC comapny. They do check.

I had an account closed while I still had a BALANCE on it! Talk about not wanting to pay a bill!! I had to pay over $500 in credit from Best Buy and not have the credit!

Comment

Originally posted by davidb81
                        Ya But lets say your amex is at $0 when you file, but what if previous payments within the last 90 days aggregate to more than $600.00 should you add it even if your balance is 0? and do you need to mention the previous payments if your balance is 0? As you can see I would like very much to save the good old Amex The only card that hasnt screwed me on interest lol

You most likely paid it back every month which is why they didn't screw you in interest. Anyway if you paid them $600 or more, you must list this and the trustee will go after them to get the $$, they will find out you filed and cancel the account. This won't affect you, but you may lose the card. While it's "tempting" I wouldn't lie about who was paid $600 in the 90 days prior since it will only catch up with you anyway and you would be dismissed.

Good luck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X