when should i file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when should i file?

alright yesterday the bank refinanced my car.
    lower about 200 ,,,690-480 now i still have to go sign papers i was suppose to go today, but i needed time to think if im going to file sometime in the future , should i file 3-6 mos after i make with new payments , b/c someone said after u file bk u cant get refinanced in the future?

im already way behind on credit cards and other bills i'll probably get sued, now should i wait until i get sued or after tax season to file?

or in january ? if i make payements on time with the new amt can i keep the car or will the credit co come take it?
    thanks

When you file is a decision only you can make, but a common reason to file is to stop a suit and the resulting judgement / wage garnishment, etc.

Seems to me that a good time to file would be BEFORE a judgement. (A car loan you can reaffirm, i.e. keep paying the loan and keep the car, so you don't necessarily lose it in bankrutcy. You have to decide whether to surrender it back to the bank, or keep it and keep on making payments. Before then, though, keep your payments current if you don't want it repo'd.)

What you may want to do is quit paying the credit card bills in order to save money for an attorney, if you're pretty certain already that you're going to end up filing. But if you aren't paying, don't use them, either.

Someone else may have more to add, but that's my opinion. You really have to decide what is best for you, not just now but in the next few years.
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

I'd sure wait and spend my tax refund before filing.

Comment

For me it has been like hanging on a cliff with a cold raging river below me & wild dogs clawing at me. I keep saying just one more problem to fix & this will all be over & I can fall into it so I can have my 'fresh start'. It does not seem very fresh to me at this point.

I don't know if there is ever a perfect time to jump in but at some point the problems just seem to be getting too deep & we go for it, hoping for the best. I do think there are times that are better than others if you can work it out that way.

I thought this would all be done & over with starting next month, but it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
          I'd sure wait and spend my tax refund before filing.
          Agreed!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X