Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Credit Union

##
    Last edited by SecondChanceGal; 03-01-2008, 05:27 PM.

If it were me, and I already had accounts set up at a different bank so there was no danger of losing more cash, I would completely forget them and file them as another debt on bk. Not just because it's unsecured debt that will be discharged anyway, but because you told them to stop allowing these payments to go through and they would not help you. Someone else may have something different to say, but I would not waste another brain cell on them.

BTW, this is exactly why it's a bad, bad idea to leave accounts open but idle with only $5 in them. Whenever an account is left open there is always the chance a creditor could try an electronic debit (with your knowledge and permission, or without it) and then you're on the hook for all the fees. Closed accts, you're safe. At least you had already moved your main accounts to another bank before they started this.
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

I have read that sometimes banks won't allow you to close an account for some time afterwards to ensure that there won't be any more withdrawals. It's a CYA on their part. Or rather, that the account is closed, but not really for a week or two after.
      Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
      Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
      Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
      11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

I had 2 credit unions. Because I had consolidation loans and credit cards tied to them they would not allow me to close my account. I had to leave the minimum ($5) in them. In one account I had $10 and the biotches had the audacity to take $5 and leave me with $5 to pay towards one of the credit cards. So you leave the bare minimum, if they start charging you over the limit fees whatnot, you just include in you BK. If you know you are going to file SOONER than not, don't pay a cent more, there's no point in wasting good money after bad, as they say.

I had a checking account with chevy chase, I included the overdraft of $500 I owed to them (hey, its a debt) I had too.

Thats my experience, Catchmeifyoucan
        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by chpxiii View Post
          I have read that sometimes banks won't allow you to close an account for some time afterwards to ensure that there won't be any more withdrawals. It's a CYA on their part. Or rather, that the account is closed, but not really for a week or two after.
          True enough, plus SecondChance had to leave it open until the child support got switched, so she didn't have much choice. But the bank did, and they opted not to assist her. I know I'm being pissy about it to a certain degree but I honestly would not pay them a penny: they could have prevented the whole thing.
          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

##
            Last edited by SecondChanceGal; 03-01-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeADaisy View Post
              True enough, plus SecondChance had to leave it open until the child support got switched, so she didn't have much choice. But the bank did, and they opted not to assist her. I know I'm being pissy about it to a certain degree but I honestly would not pay them a penny: they could have prevented the whole thing.
              Not disagreeing with this at all! Include them in the BK.
              Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
              Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
              Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
              11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

Originally posted by SecondChanceGal View Post
                Thanks all for the great advice - I feel better today. And I actually DID let it go for a while today. All this debt mess. Went to a Christmas party and had fun - was very nice to smile for once.
                YAAAAAAAAY!!!!! You go girl!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X