Attorney Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney Question

Well I talked with a few attorneys before retaining one in November . Paying 350/mo for six months to file in April 08.

I am pretty confident in him but one thing sticks me. He had me fill out some of his forms while i was there and i had some of my docs with me but not all.

Basically whats buggin me is that i will not meet with him again until April for what he calls a signing meeting. At this time i will bring all the expenses up to date, asset lists etc.

Why doesnt he want this now?? He says I'm an "easy lay up" 7 but at times in my mind i'm thinking how can he say that without ALL the docs? Maybe I'm just driving myself nuts.

Also, I hate to be a pain but when i get a collection letter that doesnt look the norm to me i fax it to him and expect a call, but paralegal said that unless atty feels it is critical he will do what he needs to do and not contact me. I hate assuming that what he needs to do is being done.

Sorry for long vent, maybe i will just make myself crazy all the way up to filing day...More so after filed.
    pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
    filed ch7 6-12
    341 7-25
    Discharged and closed 9-24

Pa, I don't want to worry you, but $2100 for a straightforward Chapter 7 seems a little steep. However, if you're not filing til April, he's right: he will get all your docs from you then. It's no biggie. Now, if April comes and he still seems disinterested, THEN you have a problem.

Many bk attorneys offer free consults; if you don't like the way this one does business then you might want to check around and see if there's one you like more, but you may or may not get all your fees back from this one.

My strong suggestion to you is that you use this time to learn as much about Chapter 7 Bankruptcy as you possibly can, so that when you go back in April you have a much better idea of what exactly he needs and why exactly he needs it, and you can keep track of what he's doing and help him get it absolutely right. The more YOU know, the better client you will be, and the better prepared to take action to rescue your bk if he doesn't file something correctly. Good luck to you!!!
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X