Turning Assets into Exempt Assets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning Assets into Exempt Assets

Out of curiosity - Is there a way to roll my tax refund into a 401k or some other savings instrument that the trustee could not touch?

Or my other thought was putting an entire paycheck into my 401k and then just using the tax refund in lieu of my paycheck.

I honestly have nothing I need to buy.

(I know I can exempt my tax refund on the schedules if I want but I'm just looking into alternatives).
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
    341 July 1, 2008
    Discharged September 4, 2008
    Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

An IRA would work.

Comment

This would have to be something you do BEFORE you actually file.

If you can exempt it, then you have to exempt it, there really is no other way.

The tax refund in lieu of paycheck won't work, the fact that you didn't earn a paycheck that week does not suddenly make the tax refund employment income.

Comment

So if I put my tax refund into an IRA, even as short as a month before I file, then the trustee can't touch it and it won't raise a red flag with the trustee?
        Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
        341 July 1, 2008
        Discharged September 4, 2008
        Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by danaf View Post
          So if I put my tax refund into an IRA, even as short as a month before I file, then the trustee can't touch it and it won't raise a red flag with the trustee?
          Yes according to my attorney in my state. Confirm the IRA type and the timing is exempt in your state.

As far as red flags go once the trustee sees you're more sophisticated than the average filer and doing BK pre-planning I'd be prepared for more scrutiny.
          It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X