top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about switching services just before filing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about switching services just before filing...

Hi. We are wondering, if we want to switch satellite services, can we do that before filing or do we need to wait until after discharge? We also are considering just doing without that. We live in an area where we can't even get in the local channels, but I suppose we don't NEED TV.

Also, we have a regular home phone, but we'd like to have a cell phone for emergencies, since our car is so old and could break down anywhere any minute. We can't really afford to have a cell phone bill and keep our home phone. So, we are considering getting a cell service and two phones, and cancelling our home phone. Could we do that? Or would that be taboo? I don't even know that we'd get approved for a cell phone, with our credit rating right now. But we are really getting concerned about breaking down and not having a phone. It happened last summer and we had to walk pretty far until someone finally picked us up, (we had our toddler with us). I was scared to go with the stranger, but thank God, it was not a kidnapping murderer.

Anyway, thanks if anyone knows if it is Okay, to do this, or not.

Pick up a cheap used cell phone at a place like Tracfone. It will dial 911 without paying monthly fees or activation. You can get them as low as $30.

Comment

I don't think it makes much difference whether you get the cable tv hooked up before or after the filing. Depending on what your credit is like, you might have to pay a higher start-up deposit if you establish service after you've filed. Satellite t.v. companies definitely check your credit when you sign up with them. As for not being sure if you "need" t.v. or not, I asked my lawyer about that and he said "Well, everybody has a right to want at least the news so you can keep up with current events." He did list cable t.v. on my list of expected monthly expenses and nobody questioned it. If they had, I would have told them that I home school my daughter so there is not only a need to keep up with current events but also there are several channels that air educational programs. So I would go ahead and get it if you feel like you can afford it. It's not necessarily considered a luxury, especially if you can't get local stations in the area you're moving to.

Comment

Thank you Lightning. Is it okay to call 911 when you're only broken down? :o I mean, that's not an emergency like an accident, don't they mind being called for breakdowns?

Thanks Dawn1970. We plan to homeschool too.
        I know what you mean on the educational programming.

We really can't afford to have satellite, but in a few months when we get straightened out, we should be able to handle basic service.

Thanks again to you both.

Comment

What other number would dial if you broke down? Not everyone has a husband/wife, sibling, friend, etc. to call. Being stranded is definitely a 911 emergency in every place I've visited or lived in.

Comment

Ok, Lightning... sorry.

I don't mean to be so naive, but I have to admit... I am.

I was thinking he should call a tow truck, I honestly never thought about calling 911, seriously.

Comment

I don't keep tow truck companies in my cell phone speed or on my PDA, and I certainly don't have any for all the cities I've driven through.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X