How much are bk attorney fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much are bk attorney fees?

I'm hearing mixed things from different people. Some say over $1000 and others $150.

My situation is pretty simple. I have no home, I'm up to date on car payments but can't pay my 3 credit cards because I'm still unemployed & going to school.

Our was $1324.00 which included our filing fee. It did not include our credit counseling, which cost an additional $100 for both prefiling and post discharge credit counseling classes, which we are doing online.

I have no idea if being unemployed you might qualify for some special considerations threw the courts. Best bet is a few free consultations threw some different attorneys, most will review your case and give you your options at no cost.
    Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

The $150 is probably for a "form preparer" which basically fills out your paper work for you with no legal advice. From what I've seen, you're looking at $1,000 - $1,500 or so for a Chapter 7. Mine was $1300 including the filing fee. Now I just have to get all my paperwork finished, dropped off and get filed.

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post
      Our was $1324.00 which included our filing fee. It did not include our credit counseling, which cost an additional $100 for both prefiling and post discharge credit counseling classes, which we are doing online.

I have no idea if being unemployed you might qualify for some special considerations threw the courts. Best bet is a few free consultations threw some different attorneys, most will review your case and give you your options at no cost.
      Filed: 7/31/08
      341: 9/19/08
      Report of no distribution 10/23/08
      DISCHARGED: 11/19/08 (Day 60)

Comment

Depending on the area, most BK-7's are over $1,000 and can go as high as $3,000+

The $150 is either for a form preparar or paralegal (to prepare the forms), or is simply a quoted retainer from an attorney...i.e. the $150 retains the attorney, but you will have to pay the balances of the "fee" before the case is filed.

Comment

I paid 2400$ for attorney fees(C7), plus 299$ for filing fee.
          Last edited by Cali; 06-02-2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

i was quoted $2,000 for a Chapter 7 (which he wanted up front), and $2,500 for Chapter 13. i was also told that any court hearings would be extra, at $250/hour. i got a quote from another attorney in another town, and it was $2,500. i'm in Minnesota, if that helps, and i did read somewhere that by law, attorneys can charge 'up to $2,500' for bankruptcy cases. i don't have time to dig up that resource but can anyone else confirm?
            Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
            (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

I was around $2100 total paid. Actually add another $250 for a retainer I lost because of an attny I fired. So $2350.00
              Filed: 01/23/08
              341 Meeting: 02/29/08
              Discharged: 04/30/08
              Closed: 05/12/08

Comment

I paid $3,250 for my Chapter 13, which is (according to my attorney) the maximum amount that an attorney is allowed to charge.

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
                  I paid $3,250 for my Chapter 13, which is (according to my attorney) the maximum amount that an attorney is allowed to charge.
                  Maximum for your area. In many districts, the BK court will set a maximum fee an attorney can charge for a chapter 13 to provide the basic services of a chapter 13. (in my former district, the max was $4,750). This fee can usually be found in the Local Chapter 13 Trustee handbook (if you can find it).

There is no set maximum for chapter 7's, competition and "reasonableness" of the fees dictate what attorney's charge for 7's

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X