How do you manage to pay for BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you manage to pay for BK?

I hear it costs a couple thousand to several thousand to file BK. How in the world do you get that kind of money if you were not able to pay the debt in the first place?

I am stuck between a rock and scissors. It's past 170 days for me on all 3 of my credit cards and I really want to file BK but I have no funds or a job to do so.

I live with my dad, going to school. I don't have unemployment benefits since I left the job without having another job ready for me so now I can't find anything.

I live in south FL so I'm sure it will be expensive. How did you manage? I'm afraid I'll get served very soon but not sure how I can handle it. I have no networth and no assets.

Thanks all!

some lawyers will take payments
    Mine offered us that option instead I used my paycheck to pay him in full

IMO work a second job for a few weeks
    Filed Chap 7

Comment

Once I made the decision to file, I stopped paying on my credit cards and auto loan. That freed up money so I was able to pay my lawyer in three installments.
      Ch. 7 filed: 6/13/08, Friday the 13th!
      341 hearing: 7/10/08
      Last day for objections: 9/8/08
      Discharged: 9/18/08

Comment

We had the money in our emergency fund and used it for our attorney. Our attorney's fees were 2390$, that isn't including filing fee.

If you don't have the money you can stop paying CC's and save that money. You can look for an attorney that will take payments until you are paid in full.

Good luck!!
        Last edited by Cali; 06-11-2008, 09:44 AM.

Comment

hhhmmmmm...well I am looking to see if I can get some extra money from getting student loan. Unfortunately, the school term doesn't start until August so I'm doubtful they will give me a loan at this time (with my dad being a co-signer since my credit is smashed to pieces)

Comment

Your biggest issue right now is not debt but, no income. You need to find a job and get your finances stablizied before you file. Even after you file bk, you still need to be able to support yourself.

Comment

I agree with Keep, find a part time job someplace even if its flipping burgers or stocking shelves (so long as health allows). Once you have some money coming in you'll be able to file. Don't worry about 170 days so much, although they are getting more agressive it is more than likely they'll charge off the accounts in another month then some other creditor will hound you. Took them 2 years to sue me and you should have heard the lawyers voices drop when I gave them my lawyers name and mentioned chapter 7 bankruptcy. I never heard from them again.....

Some lawyers will work with you on a payment plan too. Note that once you file you cannot take on new debt without the Trustees approval, so if you filed now with the intention of getting a student loan in August you might not get that loan if the Trustee says no. In fact if your still in school with no assets and no job you might hold off on bk until you finish school. Right now your pretty much judgement proof based on what you've said.
              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

When we went to file, our income had been so drastically cut that even without paying our bills, we were still short.

My parents gave us the money to file. The cost was $1800. Without my parents' help, there's no way we could've afforded to file.

Good luck!
                Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
                341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
                Last day for objections: 7-14-08
                Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

Check your county for Volunteer Legal Services or something like that. There are some organizations who offer free legal services. In exchange the lawyers earn 'learning' time which they need every year.

I wish we had known about it before paying our attorney!
                  5/29 Filed 7~ 341-on 6/24
                  8/27-DISCHARGED
                  11/2 - CLOSED
                  EQ-604 EX-605 TU-560 ~4.5 months after discharge

Comment

We paid in several installments over 3-4 months.... took a while. Also stopped paying on the cc and missed 1 mortgage payment.... can you borrow from someone? They also asked us at our meeting how we came up with the atty fee - if it was a gift, borrowed or earned.... Also agree with momof5 - if there is a local law school near you call them up! Call some large offices in your area and inquire about pro bono - it can't hurt. Best of luck. In the meantime - go flip some burgers and save what you can.

Comment

We used our tax refund check. However both attorney's we spoke with would have taken payments. Once we stopped using cc, paying cc, it would have been possible to make those payments. You will need a job to live, so that would be my first concern, then onto BK.

Good luck with the job hunt, then with the BK.
                      Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by JayJay View Post
                        hhhmmmmm...well I am looking to see if I can get some extra money from getting student loan. Unfortunately, the school term doesn't start until August so I'm doubtful they will give me a loan at this time (with my dad being a co-signer since my credit is smashed to pieces)

STUDENT LOAN? Last thing you want to do. If all above failes, attempt pro se. Student loans are not or rarely dismissed and it would be fraud to get a loan for school and use it otherwise. 'Hub
                        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X