what are my options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are my options

Today I got a "Notice Of Rights To Assert Exemption To Wage Garnishment," from Discover card in the mail. I read it and it says they are going to start garnishing my check $380.25 a check. I get paid every two weeks. This is the first notice I've got from Discover in 4 yrs and can't understand why I never got the chance to dispute the total ($6008.15 on a $1000 max cc.) At this point what do I need to do so they don't start taking 40% of my check? Do I need a lawyer?

wwwwwwow. yup i'd get a free consult from a lawyer for sure. if it was me i'd be filing bk before the next check :P.
    Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
    (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

If that is his only debt, I wouldn't be running to the BK court to file over that. Call the creditor and see if you can negotiate a payment plan. The only way they can garnish you is if they were awarded a judgment. And the only way they got a judgment was that they served you lawsuit papers for a court hearing at some point in your life. Although there are some states that allow creditors to garnish from an arbitration award, but once again you had to have been served papers.

Good Luck
      Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

you're right, bk - to the OP - i meant if it was me - literally - i'd be filing bk. but that's because my situation couldn't tolerate that kind of garnishment - i'd be homeless.
        Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
        (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

Originally posted by BKParalegal View Post
          If that is his only debt, I wouldn't be running to the BK court to file over that. Call the creditor and see if you can negotiate a payment plan. The only way they can garnish you is if they were awarded a judgment. And the only way they got a judgment was that they served you lawsuit papers for a court hearing at some point in your life. Although there are some states that allow creditors to garnish from an arbitration award, but once again you had to have been served papers.

Good Luck
          Unless the papers were delivered to the wrong person or the wage garnishment has been sent to the wrong person.

However at this point your going to have a hard time getting out of this.

Have you checked the wage garnishment laws of your state?

Have you checked the statute of limitations in your state?

I don't think any American can take 40% garnishment and survive. It might be wise to see a few BK attorneys, however if they can legally garnish 40% of your check your income is going to be to high to probably quality for a chapter 7. If I might ask what is your state of residence and your income level (gross income)?
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by chris waford View Post
            Today I got a "Notice Of Rights To Assert Exemption To Wage Garnishment,"
            This might be a creditor who is on a fishing expedition to see if they have the correct debtor. The wording they use might not mean they actually got the garnishment. Have you tried checking the various courts to see if something actually did occur?
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

The maximum wage garnishment allowed by law for unsecured debt in any state is 25%. So I don't know how you are calculating 40%.

Did you receive a summons from your local court with Discover as the plaintiff? You need to check your local county court records. If so, and the result was a money judgment against you, you are pretty much out of luck unless you change employers.
              Last edited by WhatMoney; 07-31-2008, 08:56 AM.
              “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X