Craigslist or Ebay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist or Ebay?

I spent the majority of the weekend cleaning out my storage space (in 100 degree heat) and have about 4 pieces of equipment that might be worth a couple of dollars. Since the equipment I'm talking about is heavy and I don't really want to deal with crating and shipping, how would you guys handle selling it? Ideally I would like to have someone pick it up and prefer a quick sell of about 2 weeks or less so that I don't have to pay storage any longer and I don't have to bother moving it. I'm giving the rest to charity (about 80% of it) and thought it might be worth trying to get something from these 4 items.

Also, I thought about selling it in the local newspaper, but it costs money to post it there.
    Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
    341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
    Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

I forgot, how hard is it to list something on Craigslist and is it free? I know about eBay's charges already. Thanks a million.
    341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647

Comment

craigslist is easy to post and free - but you tend to get tire kickers and garage salers - ebay is easier to get a good price but you pay for that.

what is the equipment - depending on that, it might suggest other alternatives.

Comment

It's in storage right now and I'll have to rent a small truck to move it to my home temporarily, but it's not impossible. The equipment is:

- Half sized proofer / warmer cabinet (paid $500 used)
        - Single door cooler (paid $800 new but replaced glass door which broke during the move)
        - Sheeter (for flattening out dough for bread - paid $800 incl. shipping from ebay)
        - Small single door refrigerated display case for refrigerated pastries, etc. (paid $400 used)

All of the items are in great shape and work perfectly and I'm realistic about depreciation. Do you think ebay would be better for that type stuff? I would have to insist the person picks the items up because shipping would be complicated or can I just contact a local shipping company, approximate the weight, let them handle it 100% and charge the buyer accordingly? Thanks again.

I really could use any money I can get from this junk.

Comment

kitchen equipment I think Craigslist is your best bet - at least in Southern California it would be - restaurants are always opening up, etc

Ebay you can always specifiy Local Pickup Only, but that sort of takes out the reason for using ebay - wordlwide visibility.

Id go craigslist, its free, no risk, and itll all probably move fairly easily. I would list one ad under garage sale, one under business and another under household - make sure all sort of unique ads though, or craig will delete them as spam.
          good luck

Comment

I'll take your advice and list them today on Craigslist since I have pictures saved on my work computer. I was thinking the same thing on ebay and didn't want to deal with shipping. Thank you very much. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Craiglist is the way to go in your case.

Just be prepared for a bunch of whackos to respond to your ads. There's always one or two for every item I have sold on Craigslist.
              Filed CH13 12/31/08, abandoned March 09 after losing job.

Ch7 Filed March 2010. 341 Meeting April 2010. Discharge and Case Closed July 2010.

Comment

I wish there was an effective way to reduce the whacko factor. Maybe I'll mention "cash only" and "sold as is" or "serious inquiries only". That might help.

Comment

Hey also with ebay you pay fees whether you sell it or not, unlike craigslist, you pay nothing. Far as getting a better price I don't know. You know on ebay you can go into a search and find a similar item and see what it's selling for. I did ebay for a long time, had some good success. Never made enough though to get out of debt. However DH did sell a couple old riding mowers people drove from Oklahoma to Indiana to pick it up?!? Anyway pick up doesn't seem to a problem for some of the die hard ebayers.

Good luck, hope you make a mint!
                  Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Also with Ebay, you have to deal with Paypal whether you want to or not, and that is a whole other headache!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post
                      Hey also with ebay you pay fees whether you sell it or not, unlike craigslist, you pay nothing. Far as getting a better price I don't know. You know on ebay you can go into a search and find a similar item and see what it's selling for. I did ebay for a long time, had some good success. Never made enough though to get out of debt. However DH did sell a couple old riding mowers people drove from Oklahoma to Indiana to pick it up?!? Anyway pick up doesn't seem to a problem for some of the die hard ebayers.

Good luck, hope you make a mint!
                      Thanks for the advice. I'll try Craigslist first because it's free and move on to ebay if the stuff doesn't sell. I'm selling most of this stuff cheap because I partly want to clear out the storage space as well as make a little extra money. Who knows, maybe I'll have enough to finish paying the Trustee her last payments so my case will be closed.

Comment

I'd go Craigslist first, as well as online in the local paper, if that's free where you are. I put an entertainment center on there yesterday and have had 3 reponses already. Keep renewing your ad so it bumps up to current.

If you can't sell your stuff that way, then I'd look into Ebay.
                        "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."
                        6/16/08: Attorney approached lenders to surrender old home
                        8/26/08: Met w/attorney RE: filing BK
                        9/29/08: Filing Chapter 7

Comment

For stuff like that, Craigslist handsdown.

Comment

you're on the right track; craigslist it first, ebay is a second option. i've ended up selling everything on craigslist before i had to resort to ebay, myself. good luck with the sale!
                            Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                            (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

Craiglist would be your best bet for a fast sell locally.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X